My 1985 V-Max repairs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHMax

Reaction score
As good a place as any to start chatter about my 85

Carbs Should be back to me Today
BRC Carb Shop strikes again

Hindle Pipes showed up Wensday
Hindle Stainless Muffler Friday (carbon backordered and I have the decent condition old carbon can anyways)

I am about to Pull the trigger and order the Morley Muscle Oiling Mods while I have the pipe off
I want to check all the O rings since It has been 70,000 miles since the motor was rebuilt
Will post pics of Pipe later

Carbs Came last Friday OMG can that man package carburetors

Drained oil and Pulled Clutch basket to start doing the Oiling mods
Started Pulling Fuel tank, While I was doing this I yanked off the rear shocks
Tony (My BFF that died and I got the bike from) was a shorter guy so he lowered the bike with some progressive rear shocks
Since I have had the bike, It has clunked on rear full extention. I have to figure it is something wit the shocks

With Both rear shocks off the Fuel tank comes out with little drama

Now to start cleaning the tank
Reserve sender looks cracked and corroded pretty bad

Took the tank to the car wash with a can of gunk
Pressure washed the inside and out, Fill with Vinegar and let it sit for a day
washed it out and filled it with Blaster metal rescue for two days
Drained it and thought it looked really good, But I figure it is going to bee a week or two before I put the tank back in so I put a gallon of WD40 in the tank and sloshed it around to protect it for now
when I did the WD40 turned orange rust color and the tank got AMAZINGLY clean I will try to get some pictures, but man that scared me to see how rusty the WD40 seemed to have turned

Still waiting for the replacement fuel sending unit, can this be installed with the tank in? or should I wait to reinstall it ?

The tank will flash-rust in about the time it takes to cook a hamburger and eat it, no fries. That's something I've repeatedly mentioned about in recommending the cost-effective vinegar treatment. I've used old motor oil to coat a tank, works OK, before it's re-installed.

The tank will flash-rust in about the time it takes to cook a hamburger and eat it, no fries. That's something I've repeatedly mentioned about in recommending the cost-effective vinegar treatment. I've used old motor oil to coat a tank, works OK, before it's re-installed.
I used Blaster Metal Rescue after the Vinegar
it is supposed to be a protectant
and I dumped that out and used my hot air shrink tubing tool stuffed into the fuel cap hole and dried it
it was dry in 5-10 minutes

F'Ing Hindle Jigsaw puzzle
instructions show a FJ1200 HAHAHAHAHA
Muffler hanger bracket I can't seem to figure out damn it

Find the circuits and look for corrosion on the connectors. Help prevent future oxidation/corrosion by using dielectric grease on the connectors. And check the grounds servicing the circuits.

Find the circuits and look for corrosion on the connectors. Help prevent future oxidation/corrosion by using dielectric grease on the connectors. And check the grounds servicing the circuits.
Yeah I know how to do that, thanks
I just know the Busa's SO WELL that I would immediately know the problem or where to look
Like I said Lazily ask

SOme Suzukis for you to look at.

The heart of this is Hyabusa, but the frame/bodywork is GSXR. Built at my friend's shop in FL.

1694180607933.png

This one is used for bracket racing, and street-riding. :

1694180747804.png

This one (below) is a monster. 1363 cc Hyabusa with the ~3-1/2" turbo, has dynoed at 580 RWHP.

Attachments

• 1694181236919.png
    1694181236919.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
What did that Hyabusa achieve? I see it's on the road named for VMax record-setter Bill Warner.

What did that Hyabusa achieve? I see it's on the road named for VMax record-setter Bill Warner.
I have gone 223.414 MPH at 14PSI boost WAY WAY overgeared
Bill Warner................................................Met him many times was there recording his crash but JUST missed it

Someone told Bill a Max couldn't go 200
He proved them WRONG

Wow, nothing I'd like to try!

There are posts on here about Bill Warner if you want to search.

Fuel tank back in
Holy cow it went in easy once I realized the rubber grommet goes on the tank first. I spent a hour trying. Then realized it popped right out
🤨

Snapped the 90degree elbow off the coolant overflow bottle
Seems the broken end comes right out. Can I just use a air tight elbow?

Back