My First Vmax!!!!!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbaisdad

Reaction score
:punk::punk::punk:YES MY VERY FIRST VMAX!!!BEAUTIFUL 98 WITH ONLY 9600 MILES ON HER.One problem the owner let her sit with very little gas(old gas) in her for awhile and his son took it out with that gas.He ran out of gas and got some from a neighbor.It seem to run great but it wont stay idled.I haven't done anything like drain the gas and add new stuff . I wanted to consult with you guys before I did anything.The owner swears up and down it did not have that problem before.What should I do?

I would drain the gas tank and make sure not rust or other crap is in there. Then, clean the fuel lines and check/replace the fuel filter. I would take the carbs apart and give them a thorough cleaning.

He may not need to go that far Mark. We bought Kevins bike and it had been sitting quite sometime. I would change the filter for sure - shouldn't need to drain the gas since there won't be much left in it. I would also add some Seafoam to the tank and run at least one or two tanks through it before I condemn the carbs. It may even only need the pea-shooter or shotgun procdure done.

Sean Morley

He may not need to go that far Mark. We bought Kevins bike and it had been sitting quite sometime. I would change the filter for sure - shouldn't need to drain the gas since there won't be much left in it. I would also add some Seafoam to the tank and run at least one or two tanks through it before I condemn the carbs. It may even only need the pea-shooter or shotgun procdure done.

Sean Morley

Seafoam is magical! :punk: If your Max hiccups or acts funny add some Seafoam! :worthy:

Thank you I will do that.I was just reading about the shotgun method and it seems that the same thing that they discribed is happening to me.The owner is set on that two weeks ago when he rode it and it was idling fine.He said this happened to him about one and a half years ago and just put some fresh gas in it and took it down the highway and it cleared up.

Sean Morley

You may be right. I usually err on the side of caution. I worked on an '06 and the PFJ's were pretty plugged after sitting 8 weeks.

You may be right. I usually err on the side of caution.

I always err on the side of what's easiest and then work from there...:biglaugh:

Seafoam cleared it up once and I was amazed so I use a small amount of it in every other tank now. :punk:

The newer the gas the crappier it is! Same thing with rubber products. I started saving the old valve cover gaskets I remove from the older engines. The newer ones go bad withing a year or two where my 10+ year old ones are still good! I swear the gas companies are taking every damn thing they can out of the gas to make even more profit.

Sean

You are right about that.All gas is crap now.Let me ask you guys,should I put the whole pint of seafoam into a full tank or should I run it with less gas in the tank?

You are right about that.All gas is crap now.Let me ask you guys,should I put the whole pint of seafoam into a full tank or should I run it with less gas in the tank?

4oz. or so... I usually add a little extra for good measure... :biglaugh:

Thanks I did that yesterday.Now I'm going to buy the fuel filter like Sean recomended.Let me tell you Sean really knows these Vmax's inside and out.Thanks for all your tips.

Fred

Thanks I did that yesterday.Now I'm going to buy the fuel filter like Sean recomended.Let me tell you Sean really knows these Vmax's inside and out.Thanks for all your tips.Fred
I think you'll find we have a lot of "guru's" on this site. While we all love to ride our Vmax's, the flip side of owing one is that we also love/ need to work on them ourselves too. The "love" part is a given, while the "need" could be either for therapy purposes or because we are too poor from all the accessories we install! :biglaugh:

Seafoam is magical! :punk: If your Max hiccups or acts funny add some Seafoam! :worthy:

I think someone should market a small imitation of a can of Seafoam; that way us Vmax guys could hang 'em on our bikes like the Harley guys hang their "ride bells" or whatever they call them......Be kinda' cool..

Rusty

Back