My Frame Story

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Lee-

Reaction score
I did not see a section for Frames, so I am submitting this to the Suspension category.

Some of you may remember that last year my riding season came to an abrupt end. This came about because I discovered what I thought was a crack on my frame. I tried my best to describe what I thought was wrong and even took a picture or 2.

The "Crack" in the frame was on the top left motor-mount (The one with the removeable triangle piece). It was right at the weld that holds to 2 threaded holes in to mount the triangle piece. When I reported this here, "he who will remain nameless" immediately said that this happened because I have solid motor mounts. I did not believe that myself completely, but it was plausible.

I had been threatening for a few years to give "NightFlight" a tear-down and start coating and chroming. Now I had an additional reason. Over the next 3 weeks I completely disassembled the Max. I mean all the way down!

I took the frame to a place that seemed to have a very good reputation for paint, polish, chrome, repairs and restorations. The owner told me that he had seen and reapired far worse and that I should not worry. He then proceeded to show me dozens of examples of his work. He specialized in the repair of aluminum wheels and his work was phenominal. Since I wanted the frame stripped anyway he said that he would look at the "Crack" once that was done.

About a week later I received an e-mail telling me that the frame was done. I assumed that it was just done being stripped. When I got to the shop he had the frame in the lobby for my inspection. I am not lying when I say that unless you were an expert and knew exactly what you were looking for you would have never seen the repair!

He said that it was a cold weld and probably a factory defect. No knowing anything about welding I asked what that meant. He explained for my non-welding mind in a simple matter that the metal did not melt together and stick completely. There were only a few spots along the weld that were stuck. He explained that he removed the 2 threaded holes and ground them down then space where it was as well. Then he welded it back in place. Then more grinding to smooth it all down.

I was truly happy. Then when he told me that there was no charge for the repair only the stripping I was even happier.

Well that's enough for this story. Maybe next time I will continue with the coating, chroming and rebuild story.

:banana:It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time !!!

Great story and thanks for the follow-up to the original post. I wondered how you made out.

Stress fractures are typically hairline cracks but your pic showed a large gap.

Gaps that big don't open up without a lot of movement and the solid mounts prevent that movement. So, I didn't feel the solid mounts would have been the cause.

The factory welding of the earlier frames often left a lot to be desired.

I have had my bike and my wifes bikes down to the bare frame and both looked like some 5 year old welded them. On the other hand my 250 sx ktm frame looked professionally tig welded.

23182132.jpg

:whistlin::whistlin::whistlin:

Back