My Nearly Fatal Crash - 3 Years Ago Today

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
Well, today is the 3-year anniversary of my crash in my car. Took a cable to the face at about 30 MPH. Multiple skull fractures, destroyed left jaw, lost 16 teeth. I woke up from a 6-day coma on Christmas day. Through it all, God's been good to me. I've recovered and healed well... and of course currently riding and racing a V-Max.

"Boast not thyself of tomorrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth." - Proverbs 27:1
Your entire world can change in a moment. Some of you know this, and experienced this.

You can read my story here:
http://sharing.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mark-gilbertson-2-0/

I hope the governments took care of you for that fiasco. Glad to read the story and that you're around and smiling. Looks like you kept the crown and root canal on that right rear tooth.

That wasn't a Trabant, was it? Those things are not well-built.

Good on-ya for your long recovery. Glad to see you able to be on two wheels.

p.s.: I just went back and read the article, thank god you got out of Europe and went to one of the best hospitals in the USA. What an improbable accident! The first-generation VW beetles were also well-known for collapsing seat backs in accidents.

I hope the governments took care of you for that fiasco. Glad to read the story and that you're around and smiling. Looks like you kept the crown and root canal on that right rear tooth.

Yeah, that rear tooth - Root canal, reconstructed and capped. Worst tooth in my mouth. I lost 16 teeth, and I kept the worst one!

The accident happened while I was at work, so Boeing's insurance picked up the entire $200,000 repair to my face. Unfortunately it's just their loss. It's an international issue and Boeing will not pursue any payment from Hungary Defense Force. They deny responsibility and at first blamed ME for the accident - changing the speed limit AFTER the accident, and other shady stuff. They also said I didn't stop for the "supposed" guy on the ground in camouflage on the rainy day telling me to stop. Very frustrating. I started to pursue a lawsuit against them with a lawyer from the UK. I stopped after a meeting with my pastor. We prayed about it and he recommended I not continue since it's not worth the fight for something I will probably lose anyway. They have taken some things from me - trouble with speech (can only use half my mouth), deformation and scars, and PTSD evals... next one tomorrow. Bottom line: I've recovered well, medical bills paid, and no restrictions at work. I'm convinced I could sue Boeing for a LOT of money and win. But I love my company, and they have no responsibility for the accident at all. It was an unsafe operation done solely by the Hungarian Defense Force. It becomes a personal ethics thing for me.

Fire-medic: Yes, that was a Trabant. Worst vehicle ever made. I bought it because it was funny. If I was driving a stronger car, I would have been decapitated.

WOW that blood splatter on the back window got me ugh! ,, Glad your ok and still have a good attitude a testament to your inner fortitude to be able to move forward, God Bless

I'm the oldest of 10, 7 boys and 3 girls so your screen name has some meaning for me. I honestly hope I get to meet you in the flesh someday. There are a lot of things that can make a person a bad ass. Considering what you went through, your will to not only recover but thrive and your positive attitude, you sir epitomize BAD ASS in my book. Merry Christmas to you and your family. The world could use more people of your caliber and with your moral compass.

Christian

I'm the oldest of 10, 7 boys and 3 girls so your screen name has some meaning for me. I honestly hope I get to meet you in the flesh someday. There are a lot of things that can make a person a bad ass. Considering what you went through, your will to not only recover but thrive and your positive attitude, you sir epitomize BAD ASS in my book. Merry Christmas to you and your family. The world could use more people of your caliber and with your moral compass.

Christian

I have 6 kids. Two are on their own now.
I'm very humbled by your words. I've learned that if you consistently try to do good, others notice. When I retired from the USAF, a friend said somewhat the same words you wrote.

I'm certainly not perfect, like everyone else. I could really turn this into a religious discussion, but I'll refrain. Suffice it to say, I believe my job is to show how good God has been to me. If my son told me, "Dad, you're so strong. You're the best ever" I would love it. I think God likes it when we do the same for Him.
[End preaching] :biglaugh:

Hey Lotsokids,

I am relatively new to the site and to VMax, and have read many of your previous posts.

I had no idea that you had gone through anything like what you have posted - until now.

I just want to chime in with the other folks here - you are one hell of a guy to get through the kind of trauma that you have - and display the attitude that you do.

Thank you for sharing and for being a stellar example of what people can rise to be.

May Christmas remind you of the joy that you share with your family and the memory of this accident fade into the past.

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christian

+1, I'm glad you're here today to add to this forum.
Steve-o

Back