My oil gets dark right away

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bro.betterley

Reaction score
Ive had my vmax for a year bought it from original owner with 20,000 miles on it. I changed the oil when i got it ran it for a couple of weeks and it was really dark, so i changed it i think 2 more times last season same results.

Well i figured i would drop the pan and remove clutch to do a morley HD, DD clutch, and shift segment while installing exhaust. And everything look squeky clean inside. Also no buldging o-ring

ANY CLUE WHY MY OIL GETS SO DARK AFTER ONLY A FEW MILES, im using rotella t 15-40

Mine does the same thing.......:confused2:

I change it......so I don't worry about it:confused2:

The way I look at it.......if the crap is in the oil.......it ain't staying in the engine:eusa_dance:

Lots of dirty oil doesn't come out when draining the oil pan. I like to let it drain for a long time, but there's still lots in the top end and oil delivery tubing and pump. When ya do the Morley HD pump kit you'll see.
Steve-o

Lots of dirty oil doesn't come out when draining the oil pan. I like to let it drain for a long time, but there's still lots in the top end and oil delivery tubing and pump. When ya do the Morley HD pump kit you'll see.
Steve-o

Theres a second drain plug, just under the transmission.
Good to drain the oil from there too.
I use to rebulid some engines and 90% of dirt is located in the transmission area.

Not so dark after draining the oil from there too.

I'd really appreciate it if you could point this out to me :ummm:

Remove the bottom bolt on the middle gear cover, the one with the copper o-ring, and stand the bike straight up. This will drain the transmission of oil which is where most of the oil that doesn't get removed through the pan hangs out.

Personnally I don't worry too much about the oil getting "dirty" or black in colour immediately following an oil change. This is quite normal and nothing to be concerned about. Heck I know of folks that only change their filter every other oil change with no problems. About the only time your oil will be pristine is when it is coming out of the jug OR in an engine that has just been assembled.

Latest posts

Back