Myrtle Beach Bike Week no More..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Mayor and the Council sound like a bunch of asshats. They claim not to be anti bike but then classify us like this "resulting noise, litter, lewdness, crime, traffic congestion, reckless driving, accidents, injuries, and deaths?" and this!
"The city will not allow motorcycle trailer parking on public rights-of-way within the city limits, nor at large, vacant sites. You may park trailers in hotel parking lots as long as they do not displace other guests? vehicles. Spaces for trailer storage may be available outside city limits, but within the city, there will be no space available for trailers".
Ya, that is not at all anti bike...:icon_rolleyes:

guess they dont like money!!:rofl_200: in economic times like these a city throwing away tax revenue like that is stupid!:bang head: daytone didnt stop bike week but they screwed with it enough it move alot of it out of town to ormond and they have been crying :tantrum:hard times ever since.

What ticks me off is that these local governments encourage, advertise, and even incent organizations to have these types of events to gain exposure and expand revenue. Then they get pissy when the events take off and start changing local laws to inhibit, if not discourage, the events. Myrtle Beach has taken it to the next level and cancelled the whole thing. South Carolina as a state is going bonkers just like Myrtle Beach though. They passed a law where if boaters have boats in their territory for 90 days ore more, the boat owners will be assessed a personal property tax. Well, the marinas are starting to complain that there has been a drop in northeastern boaters leasing slips for the winter months. Wonder why.

After reading this and posting, I went to the website that the city put up to make the announcements. If you read the comments section, you'll see why they CoMB is doing this. Commenting residents complain about the noise and traffic during the Harley Davidson Bike Week but I didn't get the impression that they wanted it to go away. However, the residents kick and scream about the thefts, trespassing, destruction of personal property, and lack of common courtesy during the Black Bike Week. The City also got called on the carpet about how they flow traffic during the HDBW and do it differently during the BBW. So, they City said enough is enough and implemented restrictions for all instead of addressing the few. Wouldn't want to be politically incorrect.

After reading this and posting, I went to the website that the city put up to make the announcements. If you read the comments section, you'll see why they CoMB is doing this. Commenting residents complain about the noise and traffic during the Harley Davidson Bike Week but I didn't get the impression that they wanted it to go away. However, the residents kick and scream about the thefts, trespassing, destruction of personal property, and lack of common courtesy during the Black Bike Week. The City also got called on the carpet about how they flow traffic during the HDBW and do it differently during the BBW. So, they City said enough is enough and implemented restrictions for all instead of addressing the few. Wouldn't want to be politically incorrect.

Agreed. You can read between the lines and see what's really going on here. Could you imagine what would happen if just the "black" bike week was just canceled. Especially in a state like SC. First Sharpe and Jackson would show up and call for a boycott. Then marches and so on. The old adage of one bad apple ruins the bunch applies here. political correctness is ruining our country. It takes common sense out of play and replaces it with stupidity. If you want proof of this check out your local airport. Profiling is not racism. Target the most likely offender!:bang head:

Knew a guy who lives there. HE said a lot of places would close during black bike week in stead of dealing with it. It sucks but I can see their point, don't necessarily agree with it but understand it. Been there a dozen or so times (peak golf and peak beach season) and the traffic absolutly sucks.

In a phone conversation last eve..with a close saddle pal who lives in VA, and has attended for many years now...

He had called a HD dealer over there that he knows personally, and the dealer says the 'event' will go on... But highly recommends that you stay out of MB city limits if you do go... They are going to be checking for any exhaust sound levels over 80db's, any other equipment violations, DUI, etc... And enforcing a MB city-wide helmet law (I question the legallity of that)...

But further stated that other 'outlaying' districts around the area, such as No. MB, etc, are still very open and welcoming...

Also said that it was indeed the BBW, that was the major problem...(surprise!, surprise!). That some bars etc, had closed when they were there, because of prior behavior problems...and that last year some PO'ed AA type, purposely crashed a stolen cage into a closed business. That pretty well cinched why they terminated the event...

So if you still have plans to attend, go right ahead on...just stay out of MB city limits, and you're good to go.

Philthy

In a phone conversation last eve..with a close saddle pal who lives in VA, and has attended for many years now...

He had called a HD dealer over there that he knows personally, and the dealer says the 'event' will go on... But highly recommends that you stay out of MB city limits if you do go... They are going to be checking for any exhaust sound levels over 80db's, any other equipment violations, DUI, etc... And enforcing a MB city-wide helmet law (I question the legallity of that)...

But further stated that other 'outlaying' districts around the area, such as No. MB, etc, are still very open and welcoming...

Also said that it was indeed the BBW, that was the major problem...(surprise!, surprise!). That some bars etc, had closed when they were there, because of prior behavior problems...and that last year some PO'ed AA type, purposely crashed a stolen cage into a closed business. That pretty well cinched why they terminated the event...

So if you still have plans to attend, go right ahead on...just stay out of MB city limits, and you're good to go.

Philthy

You are right, it is not officially canceled....

ScreenHunter_02Jan151613.gif

ScreenHunter_03Jan151613.gif

The pic on that piece, is good for a laugh... They snatched it from a 68-69 era flick...Hells Angels On Wheels as I remember... The HA's had zip to do with anything that went down in Hollister.

Hollister these days, has a big yearly rally...to 'celebrate' the occasion...they love bikers and the bux they bring and spend... MB will find out post haste, you can play these games, but at your own (very heavy) expense.

Thanks to the 13 Rebels, and the POB's (Pissed Off Bastards), that were at the Hollister Rally in '48, and the AMA, for the term 1%'er... named for a few that openly street raced, rode into some bars, and were publicly intoxicated....(gasp!!)..... They paved the road for those of us that followed in the 60's and 70's.

As some I knew well used to say "fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!"

Philthy

The picture above is from the 2008 movie called Hell Ride. It's a Quentin Tarantino and Larry Bishop film. It was an okay movie. Probably NSFWs, but still a good movie.

Latest posts

Back