National Police Week

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawman504

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 1962 President Kennedy proclaimed May 15th of every year to be National Peace Officers Memorial Day and the entire week that day falls in to be National Police Week. National Police Week pays special recognition to those who have lost thier lives in the line of duty for the safety and protection of others.

This year, there are 286 heroes added to the Law Enforcement Memorial walls. 100 of them died last year with the remaining from years past that never got added. I just finished watching the candlight vigil in Washington DC at the memorial site where they announced the final roll call of those officers. I am leaving in the morning for a 2 day stay in DC for other events for Police Week including the 33rd annual National Police Officer's Memorial Day Service on the west lawn of the Capitol Building.

I ask that if you know a Police Officer or happen to come in contact with an officer in a store, on the street, or even if you get pulled over, say thank you for the thankless job they head off to everyday leaving family members behind wondering if they will be coming home.

If anyone would be interested in donating a few dollars to the Law Enforcement Memorial Fund, go to www.nleomf.org It costs $250 per name to be engraved on the wall every year and they are currently building a museum as well. If you ever get to DC, i highly recommend visiting the memorial to pay respects even if you are not a Police Officer.

Thanks for taking the time to read this folks.

George Smoot
Patrol Officer, SWAT member, Firearms Instructor
New Market Police Department
New Market, Virginia

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I donate every year as I am a retired LEO. I had lost a partner to a pos. It's really something to see the wall and it makes you realize how lucky I am to have come home safe everyday. The most recent officer here killed in Arizona had just finished his shift and was heading home when he was killed by a driver who was traveling the wrong way on the highway for over 35 miles as police tried to stop him. You just never know. And thanks to anyone who donates to this great cause. :worthy:

Thank you all for the recognition.

The Memorial Ceremony at the Capitol building was very touching. Bagpipes and bugels filled the DC air and being able to talk to officers from all over the country was again a great experience.

Thank you for your service.

Eleven years ago a high school classmate of mine was murdered in the town I grew up in, while on duty.

My brother is a Lieutenant on the same police force, he has 23 years on the job.

RIP Mary Ann.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/16811-police-officer-mary-ann-collura

Very sad story. A quote from the memorial wall reads: "its not how these officers died that made them heroes, its how they lived".

I donate every year as I am a retired LEO. I had lost a partner to a pos. It's really something to see the wall and it makes you realize how lucky I am to have come home safe everyday. The most recent officer here killed in Arizona had just finished his shift and was heading home when he was killed by a driver who was traveling the wrong way on the highway for over 35 miles as police tried to stop him. You just never know. And thanks to anyone who donates to this great cause. :worthy:

From one officer to another...thank you for your service to our country.

Very sad story. A quote from the memorial wall reads: "its not how these officers died that made them heroes, its how they lived".

Very similar In Ontario: " Heroes in life not in death".

Dale

Amen. The only thing that ever matters at the end of a shift, more than stats or a paycheck, is going home safe to see the wife and kids. That's a good day at work. Be safe out there from one LEO to another brother.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back