need a set of carbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden763

Reaction score
hello im new to this whole vmax thing but i just bought a 1985 yamaha v max that has been sitting in someones garage for 7 years because he got in an accident and is now paralized so he said i could have it for 300 hundred dollars which i thought was good but i got it home and tried to start it it runs but it only idles so i dont know anything about carbs so i was wondering if anyone had a sset they wanted to get rid of thanks

before throwing money at it to fix it. try a few techniques to fix it.

pea shooter, and/or shotgun technique may just fix it.

search here on the forum for those two phrases and a lot will pop up to help.

our in house carb guruz will be by soon to help out more.

We will get her runnin good with ya.

If you have or could borrow a video camera, make a video starting from turning the key to the on position. It has to have sound so we can hear what is happening. So when you blip the throttle what happens ? Does it stall ? or does it die when you put it in gear...is the kickstand down at this time ? Did you drain and flush the tank, is there new gas in it. Did you replace the fuel filter ? When you first turn on the key - do you hear the fuel pump ticking and filling the carbs ? plus do you hear the two stage servo whine for the vboost valves opening and closing ?

Sitting around that long - the gas will be shit...we need more info to help and read as much as you can or find someone who has had a Max before and get them to help or you may be forced to take it into a dealer. That won't be cheap, so learn what you can and read, read, read so you know what question to ask us.
I hope this helps. At least it runs, your half way there....was this bike in the accident or was his accident from something else? If it was you may have allot of work to do. You may be better off keeping it for parts and getting a used bike that is in good shape. I for one, if I could find a Max that runs for 300 I'd snap it up if most of the part were in good shape.

Welcome to the forum, you say your new the Vmax thing...These bikes are a blast to ride - you'll either be scared to death or love it and wonder why it took you so long.

If you have or could borrow a video camera, make a video starting from turning the key to the on position. It has to have sound so we can hear what is happening. So when you blip the throttle what happens ? Does it stall ? or does it die when you put it in gear...is the kickstand down at this time ? Did you drain and flush the tank, is there new gas in it. Did you replace the fuel filter ? When you first turn on the key - do you hear the fuel pump ticking and filling the carbs ? plus do you hear the two stage servo whine for the vboost valves opening and closing ?

Sitting around that long - the gas will be shit...we need more info to help and read as much as you can or find someone who has had a Max before and get them to help or you may be forced to take it into a dealer. That won't be cheap, so learn what you can and read, read, read so you know what question to ask us.
I hope this helps. At least it runs, your half way there....was this bike in the accident or was his accident from something else? If it was you may have allot of work to do. You may be better off keeping it for parts and getting a used bike that is in good shape. I for one, if I could find a Max that runs for 300 I'd snap it up if most of the part were in good shape.

Welcome to the forum, you say your new the Vmax thing...These bikes are a blast to ride - you'll either be scared to death or love it and wonder why it took you so long.

i changed the fuel filter changed the oil drained and cleaned the gas tank cleaned the air filter also and it just it will idle but the sec u give it gas it hesitates and doesnt rev up or anything and if u hold it open any longer than 4 sec it will die and no he crashed something else the bike is in perfect dondition besides a couple little nicks from sittin around thanks

For a bike sitting around that long, you will need to take the carbs off and taken apart to clean them. Once taken apart, you can check diaphrams, rubber gaskets, etc... Might be a good idea to buy carb rebuild kits. At this point, it is good idea to take off all the intake rubber boots and check them for cracks. Once off, bent them around to see if they are cracked, if so, they need to be changed.

This will be cheaper than buying a new or used carb set.

Mike

I agree with these guys.
Before dishing out the dough for a set of carbs, probably just need to clean the gum out of the tank, lines, carbs and bowls.
7 years... Dayum!
You are one lucky sum beeach to have got a Max for $300 bucks!
Rock on!
:punk:

Latest posts

Back