Need a throttle sleeve

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geek_Law

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a throttle sleeve? I bought these grips and tried to glue them on like the instructions said. Well ... I pushed it on all the way on a test run, then applied the glue, pushed the grip on ... and it only went half way. So my new $75.00 grips are now trash and I obviously ruined the throttle sleeve in the process. Ugh.

Here are the very nice grips which just ruined my day:
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/iso-flame-grips-yamahasuzukikawasaki-models/part/KY-6261

I found this link, but I cannot tell if it is for the throttle sleeve or not. it says "grip assembly," but is that the sleeve, or the grip, or both?!?!

Anyway, any assistance would be most appreciated. I cannot even think straight right now after throwing money down the toilet.

http://www.yamahapartsplus.com/page...1_MOTORCYCLE)/HANDLEBAR_CABLE_(VMX12B_-_1991)

That sucks.
I'm glad I don't glue grips. I worked in a Yamaha dealers who would only spray a little detergent in water. Makes them slip on but once it dries the rubber keeps it in place fine.

I believe that the assembly you have shown (No4) is a grip with the tube inside. I have tried to find just the tube on it's own before with no luck. A YZF one fits but it is 1/2" shorter.

If you bought a YZF one, you could break the old tube and get it out without destroying the new grip. You have to open the end of the YZF tube and fit it. It might save you $100! YZF tubes are only about $10 on ebay.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=18978&highlight=throttle+tube

You can find new replacement tubes on ebay.
I saw on another site that you can try and boil (a little) the grip that the glue will come apart so you can remove the plastic throttle tube from the grip

Wow. Thanks guys for all the replies.

I'm gonna try to boil the grip as suggested above, and also consider Bazwell's suggestion of piecing something together.

And nice suggestion on the YZF ... I think a shorter sleeve would work fine still. Okay, off to try and cook my grips!

OK, I may be able to get a replacement rubber insert for grips (we sell those same grips and probably less then you gave for them). I am not sure I have a good used tube on hand I want to get rid of at the moment.

Sean

Sleeves are pretty generic, just get one for 7/8" handlebars and it'll be fine. Probably any dealer or powersports store will have them.

I got a set of Kury Iso "look alike" grips off ebay for like $25 shipped, the sleeve is just part of it. They're aluminum and have a nice squishy rubber part. Plus the throttle grip has an adjustable palm piece on the end so you can relax your grip when cruising.

For the left grip I just put a few lines of krazy glue on the bar and slipped it on. Seems to be holding fine.

I did the water trick to get them on without any glue and not problems with either set on the honda or max

OK, I may be able to get a replacement rubber insert for grips (we sell those same grips and probably less then you gave for them). I am not sure I have a good used tube on hand I want to get rid of at the moment.

Sean

Thanks Sean. I need to start coming to you first for all my max stuff. I am just used to randomly searching google and ordering stuff for my bikes.

Let me know if you do indeed have one. If so, send me a paypal invoice or email with the amount and I'll settle up. That would allow me to actually salvage the remainder of the grips. The LH grip is still brand new, so this would only be the smaller throttle side insert.

-GL

Yo Geek, any way I could get the end caps and screws from the old grips from you. I could use them. Let me know and thanks!
[email protected]

Hey Pat:

If it turns out that I cannot salvage the grips ... then you can have them. The RH one is in mint condition. The throttle side of course, is not so much. They could probably be salvaged also by inserting a dowel and drilling it out wider so as to bore out the plastic throttle sleeve ... .

Anyway, Sean says that he might have a new rubber insert, in which case I may try to save them.

Re: Need a throttle sleeve - diameter consideration

When you get it, check the diameter of the throttle cam compared to a Vmax one. If larger, the throttle will open more for any degree of rotation by your hand on the grip portion. Opposite if smaller.

It's a common mod on early Triumph Sprints to swap the throttle sleeve/tube from a later model bike or a Tiger for quicker throttle opening... it goes from being nearly a 1/2 rotation to WOT, to a 1/4. Feels like cheap horsepower!

So... just make a note of any difference and how the throttle response may change.

UPDATE:

Happy ending here.

bazwell suggested the YZF throttle sleeve and so I ordered one from Ebay for just $12.00 shipped. It had a cap on the end that I cut off, cleaned up, and then she slid right on. The two cables fit perfectly and the only difference was that it was a bit short as baz noted.

Then Sean sent me the new grips in the pics below. The throttle side was crazy tight again, so I didn't even glue it. I just forced the sleeve into it and it works perfect. No slippage whatsoever.

Then on the LH side it fit the bar but loosely, so I loaded it up with super glue gel and slid it on and now it is crazy tight.

So I'm good to go. I romped the hell out of the bike yesterday and today and now I realize that the old grips were slipping more than I realized. The sleeve used to turn inside of the old grip, especially on WOT, so I never really could max the bike.

Now it's like I found some free top end power!

Anyway, here's some pics:

IMAG0409.jpg

IMAG0408.jpg

Oh and another happy ending ... I was able to cut off the mis-glued throttle sleeve from the original ISO grips that I had bought and then I used needle nose pliers to break out the interior portion of the sleeve. Got the whole thing out ... it was only in about 1/3 of the way.

Then I soaked the grip in acetone (nail polish remover) to remove the excess superglue.

So the grips are as good as new. I think I'll put them on the 'Busa which has really tiny grips that are not comfortable to ride with.

Back