Need some security camera info

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pieced mine together from www.x10.com,
Window and door sensors, 4 sweeping cameras (you can hook it up to your computer as well as a DVR), Alarm, voice calling.

I like it, it's already come in handy a couple of times. It caught the kids next door screwing with the fountain in the front yard.
It's been going now for three years with no problems. just a couple three times a year the outdoor cameras need cleaning to keep the
sweeping motion smooth.

Anyone have any security systems or knowledge about these? I'm going to put one up soon. These all look like they'll about do the same, to me. It appears they'll look out over 40'+ in the dark. My big question is about how much recording time would I get?
Thanks, Mark

I sell these types of systems from time to time , but I do not buy from Ebay. I pay a little more from a local distributor of security equipment who can give you more info. about what their systems will, and more importantly , won't do. Warranty issues are not a problem either as they are local. When a camera or two gets hit by lightning or other type of surge , it's a lot easier to take it to where you bought it and negoiate the warranty. Some don't cover " acts of nature " at all , others have a " no questions asked " replacement policy.

I appreciate the info guys. I saved the site you gave, KJ. You have a point Rollie. Would surge protection help at the power source or will the cameras get zapped by the flash? If I knew a good storm was heading in, I could prob unplug the system. I know that would be a bit of a pain. Do cameras get zapped very often? Also, I am guessing cable is better than transmitted?

I appreciate the info guys. I saved the site you gave, KJ. You have a point Rollie. Would surge protection help at the power source or will the cameras get zapped by the flash? If I knew a good storm was heading in, I could prob unplug the system. I know that would be a bit of a pain. Do cameras get zapped very often? Also, I am guessing cable is better than transmitted?

Yes , will help , especially if at both ends , and installed according to spec. with many turns on the wire and grounded with a copper rod. Direct hit , all bets are off. Lightning hits can come from a mile away and still wreck havoc on low voltage equipment. Hard wire is much more dependable than wireless. Murphy's law says you'll never be home when the storm goes through. Home owners insurance will cover lightning strikes , less your deductable , just make sure it is worth your while to file a claim.

Back