neglected 93 VMAX..............

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c119jumper

Reaction score
Yes, I'm guilty. :confused2: Let it sit too long while I enjoyed my other motorcycles and other diversions. She was a cherry when I bought her from her first owner in JAN 2001, with only 4950 miles on her odometer. He had just had her serviced at the local Yamaha dealer and brand new Dunlop tires graced her polished aluminum wheels.

Anyway in the past eight years I've only put an additional 5500 miles on her. She has always run well (fast - faster than I need or want).

She's been tucked in a corner of my gagrage and hard to get to (must move three other motorcyes to get her out). I did get her out recently and low and behold - she was hard to start. Put new plugs in her - still wouldn't idle or run without the choke. :bang head:

Googled the problem and came up with this excellent forum. Tried the "shotgun fix" which improved things some, but she still wouldn't transition
from idle to higher RPM without the choke.

Read some more posts, one give me the idea to check for airleaks and sure enough when I sprayed Carb Cleaner around the intake manifold rubber seals - she increased RPM's.

I thought about this overnight and next morning I loosened up all the clamps holding all four carbs to the intake manifolds. Sprayed the upper rubber lips (where the carb bodies enter with WD40) and let her sit for an hour while I thought about how to get the WD40 down between the carb and the rubber holder where the leaks were occurring.

Then it came to me. :ummm:
With the choke off, key on, hit the starter very briefly while spraying the WD40 around the leaking areas. Did this on each carb, never starting the motor, just using the brief turn over on the engine to draw the WD40 into the leaking areas. After several applications, I tightened up all the carb mounting screws.

She ran very well, but still had several hesitation points while going to higher RMPs. So I used an old tip I had learned many years ago. Spray Carb Cleaner directly into the carbs while increasing the RPM's. Several doses of spray into each carb while I blipped the throttle betwenn idle and 5,000 RPM took all hesitation out of the throttle response.

She's a young lady again; ready to kick up her heels and race down the highway.

Hope this helps someone else to get their neglected ride running right.

Dave C119jumper :clapping:

my buddy just got an 89 hawk GT which i think this may help him tons. thanks dave!

WD-40 makes rubber swell... The chances of you replacing the rubbers are VERY high as they crack uber easy.

Glad you got it all sorted though. Run some seafoam in her and keep ethanol out of her.

Chris

i'd probably try carb cleaner, but def gonna try that with the engine running on the shitkicker bike try to get her going again right.

WD-40 makes rubber swell... The chances of you replacing the rubbers are VERY high as they crack uber easy.

Glad you got it all sorted though. Run some seafoam in her and keep ethanol out of her.

Chris

Good point about the WD40; Gunk Silicone spray Lubricant would be a better choice on the rubber. :worthy:

Dave

Silicon dries rubber and vinyl out... LOL It's true... That's why silicon products like Armor-All ruin your dash and seats or at the least make them shrink...

Silicon dries rubber and vinyl out... LOL It's true... That's why silicon products like Armor-All ruin your dash and seats or at the least make them shrink...

Damn Chris, you're ruining all my cleaning fun. What the hell are you sposed to put on your seat then? WD-40 LOL

Anything that's not silicon based... 303 makes a spray on product, and Adams makes a creme product. Adams and 303's products also have a sun screen in them to protect the product AND make it look good! VRT stands for Vinyl, Rubber and tires. It also works on plastic. www.adamspolishes.com or http://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo.aspx?partnum=303PRO8Z VRT has a more mat finish. I really like it on my plastics and my tires. I don't use anything on my dash as I like a low sheen... I do use Adams interior cleaner on it though.

Cheers,
Chris

303 products are huge in the boating and RV industry. They have a great reputation there. I also used their product on my cloth convertible top.

Back