New 2007 Vmax breaking in

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbellybill

Reaction score
About 7.5 days to go until I pick up my new 07 Vmax. I can't wait. I feel like I'm 6 and Santa is coming. I paid 10K as it was new in the crate. I have been reading a lot about breaking in and have read the Vmax manual about it and I'm more confused then ever. I will be driving my bike from Pa to Ny about 250 miles. I plan to change the oil out as soon as I get home but I'm still a little confused about the break in. Should I keep her under 4500 RPM as the manual suggests? I also read not to maintain the same speed but vary it. I know when I last bought a new car break in wasn't a big deal given todays engines but I'm sure that doesn't apply to a high powered motercycle. Anyway glad I found this forum.

Just do as they say and you'll be fine. Biggest concern is not wiping a cam lobe and letting the rings seat during the break in. I think I did 800 service and 2000 service on my 85. Just make sure you have the valves set at each inspection, which should be done anyway along with the carb syncs.

I'm sure I cheated within the 1'st 100 miles with a few V-Boost romps and 9800 shifts though :biglaugh: He's tight as a just still.

L8R
Neil

i just went by what the book said .... never had carbs synced runs great....and never had valves looked at to me its another way to get money at the service.. book never says anything about valve adjustments during service says check valves at 26.000 miles ....i believe it all overkill

Damn I was thinking the same thing about the first service. It's big $$. I'm planning on changing the filter and oil after my 250 mile trip, but after that.... I remember getting my first service done on my last bike and it ran no different when I got it back. Maybe after I get some miles on her I will learn how to sync the carbs.

The biggest thing with break in is NOT maintain the same speed such as cruising down the interstate
You want to put a load on the engine such as normal driving as you would on a country 2 lane backroad
What this does is increase and decreases the engine temp allowing the internal metal parts to expand and contract
Yes I am sure you will be fine if you cant do this and you will be driving it home on the highway
The difference in a proper break in to not is how well the bike performs can vary as much as 10 HP but will you know the difference probably not

No its different from a car the tolerances of clearance on engine components are a lot more precise than an automobile Do you think your car could withstand 11000 RPMS without grenading

Take this with a grain of salt - this is exactly how we break them in - just did another one friday with excellent results again.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

We do a little different - Make sure the engine is warmed up - Full throttle in whatever gear you feel safe in your area (3rd or 4th for us):
5 times from 3-5K
5 times from 2-6K
5 times from 2-6K
5 times from 2-8K
5 times from 2 to redline

Make sure to let the engine bring itself down and not pull in the clutch when you let off (and let off completely) for each run. Get it back home and change the oil. Now your engine has been about 90% broken in. All that will be left will be some ring seating but most of that will be done in the quick load break in. Vary the rpm to 250 miles and change the oil again. Feel free to ride it however you want from there out.

There is no "wear in" for the bearings as they should never touch the crank in the first place.

This works excellent for us.

Sean Morley

Latest posts

Back