New gas tank options

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COP RUNNER

Reaction score
i I HAVE FOUND A TINY BIT OF RUST STARTING TO DEVELOP IN MY GAS TANK , RIGHT WERE THE LOW FUEL LEVEL SENSOR BOLTS IN THROUGH THE BOTTOM ! ..:bang head: .. ALSO JEFF " FINETUNE FROM THIS FORUM HAS MULTIPLE V-MAXS , AND ONE HAS A LOT OF RUST IN THE TANK , SO WE ARE WONDERING WHO MAKES REPLACEMENT TANKS , ARE ANY PLASTIC OR ALUMINUM , ARE ANY BIGGER AND WHICH ONE'S ARE BETTER ? ... DOES ANYONE MAKE A CUSTOM TANK FOR A GEN 1 V-MAX ? .... PLEASE HELP US ! ... :punk:

Tim, this past year I bought a replacement n.o.s. tank from ronayres.com, it was <$200. I think they are a bit more now. If you find anything else, I bet it will be a lot more! I think exactrep has one & Sean used to offer one @ Morley's Muscle. Boxxenstop in Ormond Beach FL I think offers something from Europe.

There's always electrolysis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyG0mu2T4u0&feature=youtu.be

I haven't personally tried DIY electrolysis but it can't hurt to do some more reading on it before going to town. I know it tosses off some wicked fumes and so be sure to do it outside or in a well ventilated area.

Chemically changing metal is awesome.

Had a friend try that with an old Honda 350 tank. It dissolved so much of the tank (very rusty) that is opened up large holes in the bottom and all the solution leaked out on his driveway . Was very hard to clean up!! :bang head:

He had to get another tank to complete his project. The original was beyond repair...

It should only attract the rust... so in that case the tank was already rusted so badly it was a matter of time before it did that anyway.

Just got done doing a vinegar tank cleaning and it worked better then anticipated! A few gallons of white vinegar was super cheap. Even the bottle said it dissolved rust!

Just got done doing a vinegar tank cleaning and it worked better then anticipated! A few gallons of white vinegar was super cheap. Even the bottle said it dissolved rust!
i THATS VERY INTERESTING ! ... :ummm: ... MINE ONLY HAS A TINY BIT STARTING , BUT JEFF SAID THAT HIS IS LOADED ! .. :bang head:

Vinegar seems to be a magic substance that does many things that we pay high prices for special products to fix... :biglaugh:

Tim, this past year I bought a replacement n.o.s. tank from ronayres.com, it was <$200. I think they are a bit more now. If you find anything else, I bet it will be a lot more! I think exactrep has one & Sean used to offer one @ Morley's Muscle. Boxxenstop in Ormond Beach FL I think offers something from Europe.
i WHY CANT I GET ONTO BOXENSTOPP'S WEB-SITE ! . .:bang head: ..:confused2:

Here you are

Attachments

• boxenstoppdaytona.com gas tanks.pdf
    179.2 KB · Views: 39
i WHY CANT I GET ONTO BOXENSTOPP'S WEB-SITE ! . .:bang head: ..:confused2:
You have to know Joe's secret handshake!:biglaugh: You should just take a trip up to his place in Daytona Beach.
His website consists of a link to a PDF file with all of his parts on it. The link to the page is under the name "Boxenstopp", when his main page opens look to LH column for the catolog. Click on this and a .pdf will open up with all his stuff.

I'm getting some very light residue in my carbs from rust, I think I'm gonna try the electrolysis on mine (rust isn't that bad) and then hit it with POR 15 to keep it sealed.. Good info in this thread, thanks!!:thumbs up:

You have to know Joe's secret handshake!:biglaugh: You should just take a trip up to his place in Daytona Beach.
His website consists of a link to a PDF file with all of his parts on it. The link to the page is under the name "Boxenstopp", when his main page opens look to LH column for the catolog. Click on this and a .pdf will open up with all his stuff.

just an fyi, i talked with the bloke last biketoberfest, really nice fellow. anyways he and the maerz dude are "buddies". joe told me he could order any of the f.maerz stuff for you. there are some wicked shit on that site

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

just an fyi, i talked with the bloke last biketoberfest, really nice fellow. anyways he and the maerz dude are "buddies". joe told me he could order any of the f.maerz stuff for you. there are some wicked shit on that site

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android
+1, not cheap but a lot of high end stuff.
I also think they subscribe to the same idea of universally difficult website design and access!:biglaugh:

I used a Kreem kit on my old 89 max after rust started clogging up the carbs. It took a while and was a lot of work shaking all those nuts, bolts and washer around in the tank to clean out the rust, but worked great. Don't know if it is still working long term as I sold it about a year later.

GP

Back