New Guy with '99

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remeber Me

Reaction score
Well after missing my friend's '85 V-max for going on 20 years (I must have put 5k miles on it) I went and got myself a great deal on a '99. Nice carbon fiber like paint job and brushed aluminum look with only 8k on the ODO. I almost got a new '07 Kaw ZX6R crouch rocket but after riding my other friends for awhile I decided the wrist cramps and necks pains weren't worth it. The Kaw is an awesome bike but anything happening at 160 mph would probably ruin my week/month/year/life. The v-max fills the fun by just being such a monster. Going 85 mph then grabbing a handful even just to over 100 feels more satisfying. Of course the '99 is not without issues. I have a vapor lock problem going on where it may run fine for a hundred miles on the freeway then sputter and die at the light. Or, the opposite, sputter at anything over 75 mph. Letting it sit then turning on again vanishes the problem. I hope it's just the tank vent tube. I'll be getting progressive suspension lowering springs for the front and maybe something for the back (though I do like the stock height for cornering). It came with Supertrapps and practicully sounds like a V8. Also changing the brake pads and tightening up the steering stem (felt a slight wiggle/wobble so I checked and yep, it's too loose - bounces on the stops when off the ground and steering is tip to either sided). Other than that I am amazed at the great condition and cheap price I got it for ($4,500 with pipes, small fairing, engine gaurd/foot rest). Really like riding it! Hope to see you guys around the San Jose/Tahoe/Bay Area!

Latest posts

Back