New Member and Advice Needed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanleetaylor

Reaction score
Hi All

I am a new member from Australia and wanted to say hello and ask some much needed advice.

I want to ask what the legroom is like on the vmax? I am 6'3' and wanted to see if a Max would fit me. I have been waiting for one to show up in the shops around my home town but so far no luck. So i have not even been able to sit on one. I currently own a CBR900RR but it is time to move on as the head down bum up stance is getting old. I have had a soft spot for the Max for years and i figure it is my best option as i want to be a bit more comfy but want to keep the high performance. i expect all the members on this forum are in the same boat.

So if anyone has any opinions or advice it would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm only 5'7" and find the Max isn't overly roomy, even for me. I really do like the ergo's of the Max, however. I'm about to order the Yamaha case guards/highway pegs this week. They help out when out on the open road and want an additional foot position. They worked out well on the Max that I was able to keep for a 3 week test-ride. What a friend indeed! A friend let me keep his while he was out of town... I just kept gas in it....sweet.

As for you? I'd try and find a used one for sale by an individual. You could at least get a bum down on the seat. You may even get a chance to sample the bike. There is really no way to find out if it fits w/o sitting (and riding one). Good luck!

P.S. You may want to also consider a sport-standard such as the Bandit, Fazer 1000, or a ZRX. A little more sport than a Max but very comfy still.

Hi Nathan,

Ran into the cramped situation myself and the stock position wasn't for me. Made a set of forward controls and now it feels like a totally different bike. If you know someone that's mechanically inclined, making these controls is really simple and cheap. Wouldn't be without them and makes the bike feel roomy.

I'm 6'4" and the Max is a little cramped. A friend rigged up a set of highway bars for me. They're nice on the open road and fold up out of the way for more agressive stuff.

Pegs1.jpg

Pegs2.jpg

There are plenty of big and tall guys who ride and own Vmaxes. If you felt cramped up you can always get a few aftermarket items to open up the feel. The Corbin seats are ,uch higher feeling and wider butt area then stock. Plus you can get forward controls to relocate the shifter and brakes farther away so you can stretch your legs out a bit.

Keep in mind that Joh Furbur of BRMSportmax is a very tall guy and has no issues on even a lowered Vmax.

Sean Morley

"I'm 6'4" and the Max is a little cramped. A friend rigged up a set of highway bars for me. They're nice on the open road and fold up out of the way for more agressive stuff."

Hey Shorty, if I'm not mistaken, those are foot pegs from a Harley. Shhhhhhhhh! Just between you and me, no need telling the others. I've got a brand new one if you mess one of those up. No charge. Oh, by the way, it would be nice for us to know what to call you, besides "Highpockets". <all in good humor>

mikemax04 said:
"I'm 6'4" and the Max is a little cramped. A friend rigged up a set of highway bars for me. They're nice on the open road and fold up out of the way for more agressive stuff."

Hey Shorty, if I'm not mistaken, those are foot pegs from a Harley. Shhhhhhhhh! Just between you and me, no need telling the others. I've got a brand new one if you mess one of those up. No charge. Oh, by the way, it would be nice for us to know what to call you, besides "Highpockets". <all in good humor>

You are correct sir. They started life as Sportster equipment but have answered a higher calling! My bud made the plates on the water jet he has at work.
In addition to "Highpockets", I also answer to Kelly :thumbup1:

vmx12s said:
You are correct sir. They started life as Sportster equipment but have answered a higher calling! My bud made the plates on the water jet he has at work.
In addition to "Highpockets", I also answer to Kelly :thumbup1:
Hi Kelly,

I like it when I can call someone by their real first name. I bought a bunch of those Harley parts for next to nothing. Probably wrecked it and selling the pieces. One problem with Harley stuff is that they pay a lot of money for really heavy parts. I guess to those guys, heavy is "well made", not that sissy stuff the Japs put on their bikes to lighten them. They look good on your scooter.

Im 5'10 and it suits me fine, some of the taller guys I ride with addded highway pegs to their max and dont seem to have any issues

UPDATE: I ordered and installed the Yamaha Case Guards. They were well worth the money! They double as highway pegs (my primary reason for buying them). The comfort of having a stretched out position for my legs is awesome.

Redux, mount some Kuryakyn dually pegs on them and you'll REALLY love it.

Latest posts

Back