new mighty vac

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
id say get a rebuild kit for 20 bucks and do it then go from there, have piece of mind that all the seals are good and everything is in its place.

I did not put fluid down the hole first just in the reservoir. I just have a couple of questions before i buy the kit. Most important where are you getting it for $20 steelership wants $56? I sent Sean an email to get his price.

with a full reservoir and the brake line disconnected should i get much fluid coming out (I have none coming out)

Then with the line still disconnected i squeezed the brake lever and only a small drop of fluid came out ( I figured there would be a jet of fluid coming out) is this normal or does it confirm i need a rebuild? Is possible that it is plugged up?

I am guessing this is not an issue but i figure i would check I took apart the master and the seal on the left of the piston is on the wrong side according to my manual. Could this be the problem or is it just an aftermarked part?

Attachments

• IMAG0075.jpg
    IMAG0075.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0076.jpg
    IMAG0076.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 15
That is your problem! You are not generating any pressure that way and you will allow air in. Put the seal in the right place and direction then re-assemble and I would be betting that it works right quickly.

Get a new kit mate,if its worse then that just points to there being a problem with the seals somewhere. It's only got to be a tiny nick or flat and it won't work. Least you'll have a good starting point then.

I'm sure that seal goes in the centre of the piston, the parts diagram is only an "exploded" view

and the small end of the spring goes against the piston (you show this the other way around in your pic)

41XEuOMftUL.jpg

You are at the point of rebuild or replace. Check out Ebay and see if there is a master cylinder for sale there that you can replace the old one with if you want.

Given what this does for you it os time to buy a new one. I got one recently from ronayres.com at a fair price, members here also sell them. I have a used one that i haven't tried out yet, i got it pkg. deal w/other parts, but it needs a new sight glass window. Haven't tried it for the pressure-building capacity, but if you are bucks-down & want to do the window (ebay source for 'em, do a search) contact me.

rebuilt the master cylinder. bench tested it and the brake was rock hard but still nothing with lines hooked up. About 4 hours of bleeding. Is it possible that the calipers are drawing air?

Try hooking each line off the bike from the caliper to the master cyl & see if you get the pistons to move so you verify each line is individually holding pressure. Did you wrap the bleeder w Teflon tape? If you do it this way you are going to discover the problem. You are testing one hose at a time.

Re: new mighty VAX

Here is the latest after trying some suggestions.
If i pump the brake fast about 8 times a get a little bit of brake (about a 1/4 between grip and lever) but it never gets better and i have to pump it every time to get pressure. if i pump slowly it does not build up pressure. I might take it to the stealership.

Mystery solved. You are all allowed to laugh at my expense. I called my dad and asked him to come fix the front brake (dad can always bail me out). He walked into the garage looked at the vmax and said the bleed valve was in the wrong spot, at the bottom of caliper instead of the top. In my defense i thought the calipers only went together one way. i did not know the left and right caliper halves could be interchanged. He and his buddy (both are x 1st gen owners now 2nd gen owners) also noticed that the clutch lever was not put together right and saved me some trouble there. Thanks dad and George :clapping:

A fresh perspective is always a good thing, it just saved you alot of stealership labour costs... and a rebuild kit... and new brake lines... and brake pads... and levers... and a pair of rotors...

glad to hear you got it working. yup fresh set of eyes is always a good idea.

Dad power FTW! Last time I needed mine, he came over and helped me beat the S#*T out of my 74' Ford until I got a new Starter installed. With the custom headers it was a chore and a half, and took every single socket wrench extension we owned between us lol. Never would have gotten through that ordeal without his calm hand backing me up.

What do we do when we have kids and THEY need stuff fixed?

You can always refer back to the microfiche online to get proper method of assembly. Also, these days, you can snap some phone pics as things are before disassembly, & during disassembly, & do 1 at a time if there are two, so you can resort to looking at the intact one for comparison.

My method of bleeding w/the caliper & 1line @ a time off the bike would have shown you the components were OK, but you had an air bubble at the top of the caliper body. Still you would have to have the master cyl assembled correctly. Read the online microfiche.

Be sure to treat Dad to a good meal of his choice. Barbeque season!

Glad you got it done?

Back