New paint

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are iconic color combos for bikes, black, of-course; a personal favorite of mine is orange and black. I like this orange hue. Another one I like is tangerine. 'Re-sale red' isn't one I enjoy as-much as people anxious to sell their ride, so it gets to-be 'red.' I think in Kyle's work he's posted on-here, he had a red with wide silver stripes, that looks good.

It seems nobody but Kawasaki uses green. That may have something to-do with superstition. At Indianapolis (the 500), green was an 'unlucky color.' Then you have 'British Racing Green.' Going-back to that same paint job of Kyle's, the two wide silver stripes, a BRG with two wide silver stripes I think would look good.

The John Player Norton, black with thin gold outline pinstriping, looks good in a lot of applications.

I'm also partial to the Penske late 1960's Camaro Trans-Am scheme, something like a cobalt blue and yellow trim.

And for a juxtaposition, how-about the John Wyer Ford GT's with robin's egg blue and orange trim?

+1 very nice. I did consider orange but stuck with my original choice of black.

Agree with you about the blue/orange Gulf colour scheme, not sure how that would look in a vmax.

+1 very nice. I did consider orange but stuck with my original choice of black.

Agree with you about the blue/orange Gulf colour scheme, not sure how that would look in a vmax.

One of us has done that. Even the engine.

There are iconic color combos for bikes, black, of-course; a personal favorite of mine is orange and black. I like this orange hue. Another one I like is tangerine. 'Re-sale red' isn't one I enjoy as-much as people anxious to sell their ride, so it gets to-be 'red.' I think in Kyle's work he's posted on-here, he had a red with wide silver stripes, that looks good.

It seems nobody but Kawasaki uses green. That may have something to-do with superstition. At Indianapolis (the 500), green was an 'unlucky color.' Then you have 'British Racing Green.' Going-back to that same paint job of Kyle's, the two wide silver stripes, a BRG with two wide silver stripes I think would look good.

The John Player Norton, black with thin gold outline pinstriping, looks good in a lot of applications.

I'm also partial to the Penske late 1960's Camaro Trans-Am scheme, something like a cobalt blue and yellow trim.

And for a juxtaposition, how-about the John Wyer Ford GT's with robin's egg blue and orange trim?
I am not usually a Red fan either but I have done a couple like the one you mentioned. I finished up a House of Kolor wild cherry today that I do like though.

Attachments

• 20200526_175711.jpg
    20200526_175711.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200526_175728.jpg
    20200526_175728.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200526_175733.jpg
    20200526_175733.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 25

First bike paint job I ever did as a kid was on the neighborhood communal dirtbike no one supposed to have. I stashed at my house because I lived in the woods. It too was black with Harley orange insert on tank and stripes on fender. It actually came out good with no color sanding.
I have a new gun but garage is so full and I have more grease contaminants I dare not spray in my garage. I do have a pop up canopy with visqueen sides and zippered doors now. Humidity makes S Florida paint impossible unless you like blushing paint ! Can’t wait to see some 1985 Amethyst come out of Kyle’s shop !

I have never been a huge fan of red motorcycles and had never owned one… until recently. I am in the final stages of finishing up converting what was a 900 pound titan of a Motorcycle - a Kawasaki Voyager 6 cylinder (ZN1300) - into a street brawler. My buddy who does paint for me had some leftover circa 1975 Corvette red and I decided to use it. I kinda like it…

Attachments

• 6B52DAB9-4299-416C-A5D5-F05ABFAB3B10.jpeg
    6B52DAB9-4299-416C-A5D5-F05ABFAB3B10.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I think red looks-best when it's broken-up with a contrasting color striping, two-tone, or some-other paint technique. Scallops were popular in the '50's and '60's. In the Van-crazy '70's ribbons were popular, as-were murals of-course.

Autos in the 1920's and '30's often had unusual combinations, which don't sound like a good combo, until you see them in-person. I like the Duesenbergs which had contrasting pinstriping on neutral-colors for the bodywork, from seeing several in-person at a show years-ago.

The DuPont family owned Indian Motorcycles at one point, which meant that if DuPont made a color, you could pay to get it on an Indian. Here's an interesting article about the DuPonts, and their business holdings, including Indian.
https://thevintagent.com/2017/07/25/the-motorcycling-du-ponts/

This pic of a 1939 Indian Chief is a perfect example of what I said at the beginning of the post. Breaking-up the large-expanse of red by making the bike a two-tone, and contrasting pinstriping, quite a handsome job especially considering it's a factory piece of work.

Motorcycling-Du-Ponts-The-Vintagent-1939-Indian-Chief.jpg

Last edited:
Back