New Pipes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samfish

Reaction score
Just got my Marks 4 into 2 stainless system. They look great. Any suggestions for keeping them looking that way? Is there any kind of coating or something I can do to them before installation to keep them from rusting?

It stainless and aluminum, it won't rust.
It will turn a golden color over time. Only way I know of to keep it looking like new is some elbow grease and a good metal polish.

he does make a mild steel version too so be sure which you have. There are products out there that claim to keep the colors at the same as normal but can't remember the names at the moment.

I just spent a few hours cleaning my 4 year old pipes that were a golden hue with lots of road grime, oil, and plastic that the wind blew onto hot rear pipes. I used a grey scotchbrite pad, on removed pipes using Bartenders Friend and lots of elbow grease. They cleaned up nice enough so I used a quick coat of Mothers metal polish to bring out some shine on the SS. It would be better to use a machine to polish them but not a bad shine for what I used.
One question I thought of when I was polishing my exhaust is if SS pipes can be ceramic coated? internally for heat control?

Thanks for the tips! Looks like there's no substitute for hard
work.... :) Can't wait to get them on the bike. Currently
have some lame Jardine slip-ons from the PO...

Borla exhaust makes a good cleaner polish. Polish each pipe before you install.

Back in 1990 I bought some new chrome exhausts for a Harley. One piece (pipe and muffler) for each cylinder. Since they were single wall, I wanted to keep them from bluing. The HD shop had a bottle of thick white liquid that coated the inside of the pipes to stop discoloration. Can't remember the product name. I coated the insides and hung the pipes up to drain into a pan, being careful to not let the liquid enter the muffler section. Did this several times to get a good coating, reusing the liquid that drained into the pan. Had those mufflers/pipes on that Harley for 8 years and only got a very slight gold tint that was easily polished out by hand. I'm sure there are even better products available now.

Back