New to me 1998 9500 miles

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxChaos

Reaction score
Just went and picked up my very first vmax. Last owner acquired in 2011 and only put 1000 miles on it. Fires up but only runs choked. I have flushed tank removed air box. Out some sea foam and fresh premium in still only runs choked backfires out exhaust and carbs. Going to remove and clean carbs and sync any other suggestions or things to check would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,Max Chaos:ummm:

change the fuel filter too...might be able to get away with doing the shotgun or peashooter before you tear apart the carbs, but its good practice either way.

I would put new plugs in it for sure, also check that the breather hoses that lead up to both sides of the airbox are not pinched were they bend around to loop forward. Good luck.

Yea, it will be plugged pilot fuel jets (under the small rubber plug in the jet block).

Thanks a lot guys appreciate the feed back. Already tried pea shooter and shotgun. Is idling without choke now still bogs out between 4 and 5000 Rpm's and still backfiring out carbs. Which is kinda strange really front right carb will load up for awhile getting to much fuel then will switch up and left rear will start loading up. I will figure out eventually I'm in Indiana so still have a few weeks b4 can even consider riding. If I could figure out how to post a video off my iPhone on here I would share a video of what I got going on

Thanks again, MaxChaos

Have you synced the carbs yet? It'll run like crap if they're out of whack. You can run a can of seafoam in the gas tank and it might clean itself out or go ahead and tear apart the carbs. But a sync tool is a must btw.

Waiting on my sync gauges to come in the mail. Just can't stop playing with it and trying! Is that bad

iframe>

Last edited:
Are these links working 4 anyone? Aren't working for me. Thanks sync tool is in the way!! I'm really excited about this bike:eusa_dance:

The links I posted are from photo bucket. My service is a little slow today so can't see if they are working. I can't load anyone's links I ordered carbtune pro should be in next couple of days. Sorry if the links don't work I will get it soon

I have done the shotgun numerous times on mine and other Maxes with amazing results, I also have a Morgan Carbtune to sync the carbs, an excellent choice!.....................Tom.

Back