New USD Triples I Won On Ebay Today - Ideas?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil-3446

Reaction score
Hey Gang...

Like I need another Max project, but, this deal looked too good to pass up. Seller was really nice and answered all my questions quickly. These are made for the VMax while using USD GSXR forks, or any 54mm top clamp to 50mm bottom clamp USD fork.

These triples do not have the 1 1/2 drop, so they will lower the bike, and that's okay since the back is down about an inch now. He said that the 97 GSXR 750 was good to use because it is longer, but, that some Kaws and Showa's would also work. After looking around it seems like most superbike USD's are in that clamp size range.

Does anyone know what would be the longest USD forks in these clamp sizes easily found? Do any late model cruisers have this size USD's on them? I'd really like to keep the length close as possible to stockers.

I really got them on impulse, but, after looking at the braking systems that one could put on the front, I'm glad I bought them...plus the cool factor. I know what ever Superbike forks I got would need resprung for the extra weight of Max, unless a cruiser out there would work.

Here they are:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ABCA%3AUS%3A11&viewitem=&item=190125261179

Remember, I'm still sporting 1985 40mm stockers right now, so I could not resist.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Latest update from page 2 of this thread 08/07/07:

Just an update on the project that started this thread. Been sourcing parts from ebay and have almost everything I need
eusa_dance.gif

----------

The most common VMAX USD swaps are GSXR Srad 750's & Yamaha R1's because of the parts being readily available. The forks are 50mm at the top clamp and 54mm at the bottom clamp.

My triples are chromed srad 750 with the vmax stem.

Got some polished Srad 750 forks and going to install the race tech 1.0 Kg springs to bring them up to strength for Max.

Tom at COO is going to make my fork extensions to keep things at stock heights (no 1 1/2" drop).

Decided to go with dealer take off Hayabusa front wheel, rotors & 6 pot calipers.

Still dont know if I'll use the srad fender or try to make a mount to use my Artfibras fender that is already painted.

Google/Yahoo/Ask + Ebay + Research + Patience = Smart Shopping. It's only taken me 5 weeks to source all the goodies on Ebay at great prices!

All prices include shipping...this is where you will save lots of money being smart and asking for better deals.

Chromed Triples = $80
Srad 750 Forks Polished = $180
Rach Tech GSXR 1.0 Kg Springs = $75
New 2007 Hayabusa Front Wheel = $127.50
New 2007 Hayabusa 6 Pot Calipers = $145
2005 Hayabusa Front Rotors (965 miles) = $120

FYI: 96-99 GSXR 750 (SRAD) & 99-2007 Busa's use lots of the same parts (NOT FORKS !!!). Look for typos also, there seems to be at least 5 different ways people spell HAYABUSA!

Right now I'm sitting at $727.50 in parts, with the most expensive items being the srad forks, new Hayabusa wheel, and calipers.

With a 120/70-17 tire and fork extensions yet to go, I should still be around $850 installed and running the correct spung USD on Max.
punk0000.gif

If you are doing this swap or thinking about it, and have any serious questions, feel free to ask me, as I've been there and done that already.
biglaugh.gif

Attachments

• usd_triple_01.jpg
    usd_triple_01.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 23
  • usd_triple_02.jpg
    usd_triple_02.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
If that really works I'm in. Let us all know how it fits/works

Will do turbo...

Beers make it hard for me to convey what I'm trying to say sometimes :biglaugh: .

These are made for the Vmax while using GSXR forks, however, any 54mm to 50mm USD should work if it's long enough.

Really need to give the forks some thought, because, braking is my biggest concern doing this upgrade.

The ones below are what I think these are.

:cheers:

Neil

Attachments

• 750_trees.jpg
    750_trees.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 38
Warriors run USD forks. I have no clue of sizes or anything else though.

Been looking at those, but, can't find a single set on ebay...have read somewhere that they are like 58mm on the top clamp though. I need to investigate further!

I have a feeling that the super cruisers have long since passed the sportbikes in top clamp diameter :damn angry:

Neil

Awesome buy my friend. Can't complain about that price.:clapping:

Awesome buy my friend. Can't complain about that price.:clapping:

Thanks Gleno!!!

I think many let this one slip by their heads. No drop, but, why pay $770 more and wait for 10 weeks? I almost pulled the hammer on these less than a week ago!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VMAX...012QQitemZ220120319106QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Those are Tom's from COO...just didn't want to cut him out too much after all the work he has done for me! Well worth the price of the calipers, wheel, and fender!

The droppers like mine go for about $500 on the euro boards...and people are running almost everything in them!

I want 6 pot Nissan braking power.

:punk:

Neil

Thanks Gleno!!!

I think many let this one slip by their heads. No drop, but, why pay $770 more and wait for 10 weeks? I almost pulled the hammer on these less than a week ago!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VMAX...012QQitemZ220120319106QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Those are Tom's from COO...just didn't want to cut him out too much after all the work he has done for me! Well worth the price of the calipers, wheel, and fender!

The droppers like mine go for about $500 on the euro boards...and people are running almost everything in them!

I want 6 pot Nissan braking power.

:punk:

Neil

I saw those but didn't go for it because I wasn't cashed up at the time.

Was going to fit 6 pot tociko's (even bought them) but they are too difficult to mount on the standard forks, so I'll wait until I get the USD setup.

I swapped the tokico's for the four pot Brembo's at the re-cyclers.

If Boxenstopp ever reply to my email I'll buy the adaptors for them.

If you spot another triple, let me know.

Was going to fit 6 pot tociko's (even bought them) but they are too difficult to mount on the standard forks, so I'll wait until I get the USD setup.

Will do...

Great article about such things somewhere around here...just saw it yesterday, and for the Love Of God...can't find it today...showing pictures of 6 & 4 brakes???

Neil

I thought you were going to use that template I sent you that I use on my bike.

Boxenstopp are brutal for not replying/answering questions. When I finally got hold of them, they told me they do not have a bracket for my R1 rotors and 6 pot Tokico calipers :bang head: so I now have to make my own.

Decided to do the GSXR route:

Priced all the front brake assembly from dealers at $516.94...bought it new assembled on the bay for $145 :biglaugh:

-------------------------------------

2007 GSXR 1300 Front Calipers OEM PRICE & BREAKDOWN:

1 Caliper Assy, Front RH 1 $185.13
1 Caliper Assy, Front LH 1 $185.13
2 Piston Set 2 $50.57
3 Seal Set, Piston 2 $21.12
4 Pin 2 $3.64
5 Clip 2 $1.95
6 Bolt 8 $3.50
7 Cover 2 $10.38
8 Screw 4 $2.16
9 Bleeder 2 $3.64
10 Cap 2 $2.16
11 Pad #Amp; Shim Set 2 $39.45
12 Shim 4 $5.12
13 Bolt (10x30) 4 $2.99

Total: $516.94 for all front brake parts.

------------------------------------

$145 2007 Deal For 6 Pistons On EBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=230139746086&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=013

-----------------------------------

Going to run the Srad 750 forks resprung/valved, 97 wheel and fender.

-----------------------------------

Damn it...now I have to paint again!

Neil

i actually bought the setup that everyone was looking at on ebay. they will be installed on the bike this thursday. ive also got 2 sets of r1 forks w/wheel, rotors,and fender for sale. as i bought the whole setup ready to mount, i no longer need them. i'll post some new pics on fri., once everything is done.

I thought you were going to use that template I sent you that I use on my bike.

Hi Buster. Thanks for the template.

I was going to use the template to build a set of adapters but opted to get adapters 'off-the-shelf' so I swapped the calipers (and I might swap them again before its over).

Have Brembo's with 40mm mounts but may go to 60mm.

I have attached a photo of the 60mm with mounts on the pre-93 forks.

It's a very neat and tight fit. Overall this should have significant balance and inertia advantages over a caliper mounted further from the fork.

Attachments

• brembo proto.jpg
    brembo proto.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 29
Hi Buster. Thanks for the template.

I was going to use the template to build a set of adapters but opted to get adapters 'off-the-shelf' so I swapped the calipers (and I might swap them again before its over).

Have Brembo's with 40mm mounts but may go to 60mm.

I have attached a photo of the 60mm with mounts on the pre-93 forks.

It's a very neat and tight fit. Overall this should have significant balance and inertia advantages over a caliper mounted further from the fork.

Wow, nice set up! :thumbs up: I'd go Brembo over Tokico too, so good choice.:punk:

Just an update on the project that started this thread. Been sourcing parts from ebay and have almost everything I need :eusa_dance:

----------

The most common VMAX USD swaps are GSXR Srad 750's & Yamaha R1's because of the parts being readily available. The forks are 50mm at the top clamp and 54mm at the bottom clamp.

My triples are chromed srad 750 with the vmax stem.

Got some polished Srad 750 forks and going to install the race tech 1.0 Kg springs to bring them up to strength for Max.

Tom at COO is going to make my fork extensions to keep things at stock heights (no 1 1/2" drop).

Decided to go with dealer take off Hayabusa front wheel, rotors & 6 pot calipers.

Still dont know if I'll use the srad fender or try to make a mount to use my Artfibras fender that is already painted.

Google/Yahoo/Ask + Ebay + Research + Patience = Smart Shopping. It's only taken me 5 weeks to source all the goodies on Ebay at great prices!

All prices include shipping...this is where you will save lots of money being smart and asking for better deals.

Chromed Triples = $80
Srad 750 Forks Polished = $180
Rach Tech GSXR 1.0 Kg Springs = $75
New 2007 Hayabusa Front Wheel = $127.50
New 2007 Hayabusa 6 Pot Calipers = $145
2005 Hayabusa Front Rotors (965 miles) = $120

FYI: 96-99 GSXR 750 (SRAD) & 99-2007 Busa's use lots of the same parts (NOT FORKS !!!). Look for typos also, there seems to be at least 5 different ways people spell HAYABUSA!

Right now I'm sitting at $727.50 in parts, with the most expensive items being the srad forks, new Hayabusa wheel, and calipers.

With a 120/70-17 tire and fork extensions yet to go, I should still be around $850 installed and running the correct sprung USD on Max. :punk:

If you are doing this swap or thinking about it, and have any serious questions, feel free to ask me, as I've been there and done that already. :biglaugh:

Some pics are below, and I will keep you posted on the progress.

Neil

Attachments

• chrome_triples.jpg
    chrome_triples.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 19
  • polished_forks.jpg
    polished_forks.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 23
  • race_tech.jpg
    race_tech.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 19
  • front_wheel.jpg
    front_wheel.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 24
  • brake_rotors.jpg
    brake_rotors.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 19
  • front_calipers.jpg
    front_calipers.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 19
Just an update for 08/14/07...

Mocked up the front end today (resprung the forks, tire mounted, wheel, brakes, rotors, triples, etc...), just waiting on the fork extensions and final fender decision before installing on Max...pics below.

These pictures don't do the polish job on the forks or chrome triples justice, neither do my greasy fingerprints :damn angry:

Neil

Attachments

• usd_full_front.jpg
    usd_full_front.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 26
  • usd_left_front.jpg
    usd_left_front.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 33
  • usd_right_front.jpg
    usd_right_front.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 17