Newly Acquired 1986 V-Max...My First...I have questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnblaid

Reaction score
I just came into possession of a 1986 V-Max with 18,000 miles on it. I didn't buy it myself, my boss surprised me with it. (no, you can't have my job).

This is my first V-Max and I have some concerns.

The engine sounds like it is about to fall apart, but I've never even heard one run before. It sounds like it needs the valves adjusted at the very least but this might just be how they sound.

I changed the oil using Mobil 1 full synthetic motorcycle racing oil and after riding it around the block a couple of times, the oil is already very discolored...almost black...after just a couple of turns around the block. I was riding a suzuki intruder and the oil in it still looks pretty clean and amber after 500 miles (1993 800 w 15,000 miles and the Mobil 1 smoothed out the shifting and engine noise a lot) This thing whines loudly whenever you let off the gas at speed. Neutral is impossible to find but I see that this bike just has this problem. The oil change had no effect on that or shifting in general. It also makes a loud clunk sometimes when you let the clutch out at lower speeds or shift at lower speeds. Some trans gears might be whining too.

I think the front brakes are almost gone. The disks are scored...for that matter the rear disk is scored also. I think we are looking at a serious brake job front and back.

I love the way this bike rides and this is the type of bike for me but I'd like a 1999 or better since it appears that the front forks and transmission problems were all fixed by this year.

My questions are:

This engine has a lot of moving parts...are they just loud or should the engine be a bit quieter. If so, then is it possible that something really expensive is about to fail?

My inclination is to tell my boss to sell it and get his money back out of it at once. He actually bought it for me to "let me ride one and get the desire for one out of my system so we could move on to gold wings. Now he's ridden it and was blown away by how well mannered it is if you don't stand on it. He wants one too now. LOL.

I don't know a lot about motorcycles but I know a hell of a lot about cars and building drag racing engines for cars. I know the effects of letting a machine sit up for years and not start it regularly. I think, considering the age and lack of miles, this vehicle has been sitting unused too long to be reliable without spending more money on it than it's worth.

All comments, humor, flames, and anything else appreciated.

The V-Max is the most special bike I've seen and I want to own one as my daily riding bike, but I'm afraid of this one breaking down or the engine failing and costing me 4 to 6 grand.

put my fears to rest. LOL.

These engines are loud some more than others. As far as the oil I wouldn't run synthetic can cause clutch to slip. Many guys here including myself run rotella 15/40 hd diesel oil. You'll love the power of the Max wait till u hit vboost hold on tight lol. Let's see some pics.

Also 18000 miles it's not even broken in lol some guys have 100,00 plus I have 53,000 on mine.once you get to know the bike you'll love it.

Post a video of it running. That will help us figure out if it's louder than normal. I'd be happy to come up with mine in a couple weeks when it's all back together and have a look. It's a quick trip to Denton for me. There are others in the area that would be glad to help out, too, I'm sure. I run the rotella 15-40 as well. Go get some at auto zone and change it/run it a few times. A normal oil change won't get all the oil that's around the middle gear that gets picked up when running. It took me three changes to make it look normal. I'd check the final drive oil level as well. The whining might just be something you're not used to unless you've had other shaft drive bikes. any year can have transmission problems (my '01 does). Some of it can be operator error, though. If you don't have it, don't worry about it yet, but use the clutch for 1-2 at least. Carb synch might help it sound a little smoother, as well.

If you broke down and spent $4k on it, you could have a whole new bike... Don't worry too much about that. If it runs, it'll be ok... or we'll find you another one.

I wish my boss had bought me a bike.

Thanks to all of you. I'll get some Rotella and change it again soon. I've found a V-Max expert but I'd love to visit with anyone in my area so PM me and I'll give you some contact info.

I see my local auto zone has Shell rotella and rotella T...whats the difference...sounds like I might need to be careful here.

The oil you're using will not make your clutch slip. Find the oil thread as this has been discussed, rediscussed, and will be discussed for years to come. Bike specific oils have friction modifiers to ensure proper function of oil bath clutches.

The oil you're using will not make your clutch slip. Find the oil thread as this has been discussed, rediscussed, and will be discussed for years to come. Bike specific oils have friction modifiers to ensure proper function of oil bath clutches.
True, if it is a Bike Specific Synthetic it should work fine with a wet clutch.
But I've run the Shell Rotella T for years without any problems, so I'll stick with it.

These engines are loud some more than others. As far as the oil I wouldn't run synthetic can cause clutch to slip . Many guys here including myself run rotella 15/40 hd diesel oil. You'll love the power of the Max wait till u hit vboost hold on tight lol. Let's see some pics.

Some have said it CAN cause not WILL cause it to slip Just what I have heard & read . I run Rotella so I have no oil issues!!!!!

True, if it is a Bike Specific Synthetic it should work fine with a wet clutch.
But I've run the Shell Rotella T for years without any problems, so I'll stick with it.

+1

Bike specific oils are designed for use in clutches. That is not the slipping problem. I even use Mobil 1 15W50 in my Max and have no slipping problem and it is not bike specific, just has no friction modifiers.

I talked to the V-Max expert today (35 years as a Yamaha Mechanic at a dealer) He said he never heard of using Rotella and talked about the friction modifiers.

He also recommended that If I use Rotella, I change the oil every 1500 Fifteen Hundred One thousand five hundred miles?????

how often do you guys change this stuff? It's 4.95 a qt vs 11.00 a quart for the Mobil 1

I change my Oil (Shell Rotella T 15w40) every spring.
That's between 4,000 and 6,000 Miles for me.

PS
Sadly, Most Yamaha Mechanics have never even seen a VMax much less worked on them, is he really a VMax Expert or just a Yamaha Mechanic ?
I got lucky when I first bought mine back in 2001, I found a local Yamaha Dealership with a Mechanic that had 2 VMaxes, one for the road and one for the Track.
He was the one that first told me to try Shell Rotella T in my VMax.

And Shell Rotella T 15w40 is JASO MA Apoproved (for motorcycle with wet clutch use).
The Oils you DON'T want to use are Energy Conserving and have Friction Modifiers which make a wet clutch slip, Shell Rotella T 15w40 is NOT energy Conserving.

And if you read through the Oil Thread:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=1198
You'll see that there are hundreds if not thousands of users running Rotella T in their Vmaxes, all without incident.

Rotella T in mine and 0 issues. When it comes to talking to a "Vmax expert" you are in the right place. There are multiple people on this forum who know damn near everything about a Vmax and any small knowledge gap they have is easily filled by another one of the members. You could be having a problem that everyone you talk to locally will have no clue what you are talking about, but you will find that by posting the question here 1 or more members would have been there and done that before.

I for one have recently moved past borderline retarded in bike maintenance and I am learning more about my bike (and bikes in general) every day I come to this forum.

Congrats on the new bike and at such an excellent price! Now you can take your savings and feed it to the mod monkey when it bites.

139000 miles on Rotella T since brand new! Original clutch and only 1 valve needed to be adjusted since. Go with Rotella T.

Probably the reason your oil turned black is you did not drain the outdrive which holds a small amount of oil. The noise you hear could be coming from the clutch basket. If thats where the noise is coming from it should get quieter if you pull the clutch lever in....

as far as oil is concerned, i've ran three to four different brands of bike-specific synth, all without issue (clutch slip, etc.) except for a couple weeps that some will say occurred because synth is thinner, but i dismissed as time to tighten up bolts or replace gaskets. granted i did DD the clutch stack, so perhaps the extra pressure helped. with that being said, however, after reading and researching the rotella, i recently switched to it and am absolutely happy.

there is some relationship with ease of shifting and time to change oil. for me it doesn't matter if i am using synth or dino. commuting an average of 50 miles a day, i change my oil once i notice shifting starting to lose its smoothness, which is always somewhere around 2000-2500 miles. this comes out to every 3 to 4 months. the choice is simple for me when you reckon $3/qt vs $12/qt. that's just my opinion. take it, leave it. it really all boils down to how much you are willing to invest in consumables.

not saying your "vmax" mechanic isn't qualified, BUT, the guys here, except for the occasional troll that gets bumped out in a blink of an eye, aren't total idiots. you'll quickly identify the handful of gurus and the plethora of crackerjacks, and like, Tex says, the knowledge gap that isn't covered by these folks is easily handled by the rest of the forum members. my max is my first bike and up until a couple years ago, the most mechanical thing that i've done was change brake pads and oil changes on my cages. with this forum's members assistance, i've rebuilt my carbs, rebuilt my forks, rebuilt all my hydraulics, reshimmed the valves, rebuilt my starter motor, repaired my starter clutch, repaired crankcase breather housing, rewrapped wheels in new rubber, repaired a rotting steering bearings, upgraded jets, upgraded fork internals, upgraded intake and exhaust, upgraded charging system, upgraded brakes, upgraded saddle, and upgraded lightning--all with my pooter jockey fingers. there are more successes that couldn't have been realized without these members' skills and knowledge, just can't think of them at the moment.

congrats on the appropriation. it will give you years of ear-to-ear grins. good luck and welcome to the brotherhood.

Last edited:
well...I've been touring these forums for a while now and have seen that even changing the battery in these things is a horrid nightmare. I can see this thing is like a boat...a boat is a hole in the water into which you constantly pour money.

Tragically for me, now that I've ridden this bitch, I'd rather just not ride if I can't ride A V-Max. Perhaps not this V-Max (I think it needs too much work...new brakes and rotors all around, a tuneup and valve adjustment, carbs rebuilt...new tach, new front fender (broken) new seat, forward controls (my legs cramp) new handlebars (need the buckhorn downturn or my arms go numb) But nevertheless...a V-Max or nothing.

Damn this thing.

And you people aren't helping me walk away either. Someone has already offered to ride in from out of state to inspect my bike and listen to it to see if it is abnormally loud or if it's normal! I can't believe such a generous offer from someone who has no idea who I am.

And I'd probably do the same thing myself.

You guys really seem dedicated to these bikes and I now understand why and I love that too.

I guess I'm gonna end up in a V-Max club. I'm sure there's one in the Dallas area.

Damn...my wallet is toast.

Thanks for your advice. I'm hooked

Welcome to the club. Now the mod monkey starts. You'll love the bike more when it's running like it should. And like others have said, we'll all help out to make sure you get good information.

Shoot me a PM on the weekend. I'll have a set of stock front brake calipers. Just gave a whole set to Sean, too. I'm sure he'd be willing to work with you to get a new year caliper if you need it. I can have a listen as well, and hopefully ride mine up there. I've had my carbs apart enough times to at least be able to show you what might need replacing if you want to take them off and get into them. The battery's really not bad, either. There are cheap alternatives (panasonic) or expensive ones (odyssey, Li-ion).

I have a set of good front rotors and calipers with good pads I just pulled off my 85 this weekend, and a spare clutch spring if you want to do the DD clutch mod I would be willing to donate, for just the shipping cost, if it will help you- Let me know- Stan

Back