Nitrous

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srk468

Reaction score
Went out and took some pics earlier of my nitrous setup, I bought the kit used for $200 and bought 3 helium bottles from a friend for $100 (they are basically the same as high pressure CO2 bottles) and I went ahead and added a low fuel pressure safety switch and a full throttle microswitch.. I put the nozzles in the intakes just in front of the Vboost butterflies, I mounted the fuel pump to the swingarm pivot crossmember and put the solenoids under the seat where the factory coils used to be and I used a smaller Ballistic battery to gain some space here too, pardon the wires everywhere because there is wiring for my air shifter, wideband O2 sensor, nitrous & fuel solenoids, bottle heater, ect, ect.. I pulled the gas tank and removed the drain bolt and drilled & tapped it to 1/8"npt and put a T in there with a plug so I could still drain fuel and the other port I ran to the fuel pump. I used the plastic lines with the funnel jets and personally I think this is the way to go because routing is so much easier and everything blends nice.

Now I did extend my swingarm myself and I laid it all out so I could mount my bottle as pictured. I'm just kinda holding it in place in the pics and the band clamp isn't in place but you get the idea... I set it up with 11.5" shocks cause I needed limited suspension travel to where it would be impossible to hit the bottle with the tire, I ditched the mud guard and used the tabs on the gas tank to fab a bracket to hold the bottle secure in place and I've got probably 5000-8000 miles this year and nothing ever comes close to touching. I also took this opportunity to weld up the brake side and underbrace for the swingarm air tight and weld in a fitting to use the swingarm itself as the air tank for my air shifter... I modified my stock gauge cluster to mount an oil press gauge and a nitrous press gauge, I also put in a valve on the side of the bike so you can wheel open the bottle and see your bottle press but with the shutoff valve you can keep from having pressure on the solenoid all the time... If you see someone you wanna bust off just open the shutoff valve turn on the toggle and hurt some feelings LOL the kit comes with a dpdt switch and I hooked the trigger up to my starter button, with the switch off everything works like normal but turn the switch on and the fuel pump starts running and providing your at wot then just touch the starter button and your having fun.

I was already using the horn button for my air shifter (my horn didn't work but if it does you can use a dpdt switch here too) so that's why I used the starter button for activation but first time I sprayed at night I learned that my headlight was going out, makes sense because it does while cranking too so I put a small toggle on it and bypassed the headlight "grounding out" while the button is being pushed. This came in handy later after I added a bottle heater so now I can leave the headlight off in the staging lanes and get my bottle pressure up without overtaxing my charging system, plus its nice to have the option of shutting your headlight off. Next I found that I really needed a purge, not for performance but so you can keep the bottle pressure from going too high.. That's about all I can think of now, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358629768364.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358629768364.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 103
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358629785688.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358629785688.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 94
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358629804229.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358629804229.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 90
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358629830541.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358629830541.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 83
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358629852680.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358629852680.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 83
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358629877780.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358629877780.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 79
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358629893822.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358629893822.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 81
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358629924139.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358629924139.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 82
Thanks Danny! Weasel, I have the Innovate LC1

I think I have roughly $800-$900 into everything but like I said I bought some stuff used but I've got a ton of jets, a purge, bottle heater, custom length lines, ect.. I guess you can say I have about $1000 into it now because I just bought a progressive nitrous controller and that was another $250 but I think that it will really be the key to getting a much better et out of the bike... It also has a window switch so it'll automatically shut off the nitrous where I set it (thinkin 9600) so if by chance I lose traction or something I won't hit the limiter on juice.. I'm really looking forward to having another 20-30hp to launch with too..

I'm just curious of the effect to the motor of running nitrous. I've heard before that it beats the hell outta the motor. Please excuse my ignorance but I'd just like someone to clarify what it does to it as far as Valves, pistons, or whichever parts that take the brunt of the abuse. Alot of guys do it so it can't be all that bad but hell, I have a hard enough time with the normal wear items Tires, brakes etc.. I would like the added performance but wouldn't like the expense between installing, filling, and maintaining the Nos let alone if you'd have to rebuild the engine every so often. But I'm sure it's fun to have. Damn, I wish had more $ cause there's so much more I still want to do to mine.

Good work. The parts that suffer the most are the pistons (ring lands will give in first if using too much), then rod bearings (if engaging at too low an RPM). Usually there is no detrimental effects on the heads/cams since they aren't getting an real load. Basically you are giving the engine a boost in compression while the nitrous is engaged.

The progressive controller really helps to bring the power in incrementally which will extend the life as well as allow you to run even more nitrous.

Good work. The parts that suffer the most are the pistons (ring lands will give in first if using too much), then rod bearings (if engaging at too low an RPM). Usually there is no detrimental effects on the heads/cams since they aren't getting an real load. Basically you are giving the engine a boost in compression while the nitrous is engaged.

The progressive controller really helps to bring the power in incrementally which will extend the life as well as allow you to run even more nitrous.

Perfectly said Sean, I also forgot to give props to Sean as he has coached me through alot of this project and really hooked me up on some parts :clapping:

So you are going to run a 30 shot? What kinds of quarter mile times do you expect to run?

So you are going to run a 30 shot? What kinds of quarter mile times do you expect to run?

I was running a 60hp shot last season and was going consistent 10.5's but there was more in it because my launch needed work, probably could have seen the 10.3's if I had done my part.. I'm actually going to bump it to an 80hp shot this year but now I have a progressive controller and I'll make it wide open throttle engagement and I'll probably start with a 25% initial hit and 2-3 seconds to full power. Hoping to see the 9's this year...

That's crazy power. Are your internals stock? Has anyone else run such a large shot?

That's crazy power. Are your internals stock? Has anyone else run such a large shot?

Mostly stock but have ARP studs and Cometic head gaskets... I know of a couple people running that much on a progressive but if I didn't have that I'd keep it at the 60 shot.. Just got a spare engine so I'll start building that this winter and put good stuff in it so I won't have to worry as much LOL

Back