No headlight

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codis8

Reaction score
Posted a few weeks ago. Had no power to bike. The starter switch was stuck in. (thanks for the help)Fixed a melted wire.Ran great for a couple weeks then it died on me and the headlight quit. Got it started again and no problems since but still no headlight. I used a 12volt tester to check the contacts right at the headlight and it does have power. The bulb was burned out so I got another one. Still nothing. How is it possible to have power using a test light but still no headlight? Even tried a bulb from another bike. Nothing. When I flip the hi/lo switch it does effect the brightness of the test light on one of the:confused2: terminals. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted a few weeks ago. Had no power to bike. The starter switch was stuck in. (thanks for the help)Fixed a melted wire.Ran great for a couple weeks then it died on me and the headlight quit. Got it started again and no problems since but still no headlight. I used a 12volt tester to check the contacts right at the headlight and it does have power. The bulb was burned out so I got another one. Still nothing. How is it possible to have power using a test light but still no headlight? Even tried a bulb from another bike. Nothing. When I flip the hi/lo switch it does effect the brightness of the test light on one of the:confused2: terminals. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

My best guess is the ground for the headlight is bad. When you grounding the test light it works, when you connect the headlight bulb it doesn't. Follow your ground for the headlight and make sure it is in good shape.

Have you checked the fuse for the headlight??

Take your faux off look under the black fuse cover at the top fuse thats your headlight fuse.

Have you checked the fuse for the headlight??

Take your faux off look under the black fuse cover at the top fuse thats your headlight fuse.

In his post he has 12 volts with a tester so the fuse is OK. I think 82ndcowboy is on the right track about the ground, assuming the OP didn't use the same ground reference as the headlight.

Yep, bad ground. There has to be a reason things keep melting/burning out and/or up! I ride as hard as I can so that these things happen in town. Wanting to take a road trip soon. Gotta figure this stuff out. This all started with the starter button. Now I gotta figure out why my tach/temp gauges don't work. Have not worked for months. Idiot lights are fine.:punk: I can take them of and hold them upside down and they work. Sometimes I shake them and that causes them to work. Gotta be internal? I would really like a temp gauge. Maybe I'll have to buy another one. Anybody got an instrument cluster for cheap?

A poor ground creates a higher current in the wire to power the end device. This will generate heat and will cause the burning and melting issue you have. You should check the connections and grounds for all the devices that are not working on your bike. There should be a ground to your motor and your frame from the negative post of your battery.

When i 1st picked up mine the light wasnt going went through the same process as you . In the end the starter button had stuck not that you would notice and that cuts out the headlight :clapping:

Latest posts

Back