No Spark Issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I failed to mention that the issue was there Before I changed the starter clutch.
I put my Max in a Ditch a few years ago at 35 mph and it was running while in the ditch.
I had to pull myself up the bike to shut it off.
And it has NOT started since.
I was hoping it was just the starter clutch preventing it from starting But obviously that wasn't the only issue.

And the Engine Does attempt to start BUT there is No spark at any of the plugs.
And ALL the coils (COPs) do get power (the resistors get hot as soon as I turn on the key).

Let's try to dissect this. You changed the starter clutch because for either of 2 reasons.
1), After you ditched the bike, and tried to start it again, the starter motor just spun without engaging the engine? or
2), you were trying to get it started, and thought it was the starter clutch?

Please let us know what the answer is to the above question, because it will dictate the next point of attack for solving this issue.

Neutral Switch installed and still No Spark at any cylinder.
I'm thinking it is probably a bad/loose connection somewhere but who knows.
I have checked all the connections I could think of that are part of the ignition system but I guess I'll be checking and testing them all again.

Any more Ideas what else it could be ???

Did you check for proper function of the diode block, and the pressure sensor?
And with the ignition on, (and Engine Stop Switch closed) what voltage are you reading at the red/black wire, at the Ignitor connection?
Cheers!

Manual says orange is the common color. It should be black.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Let's try to dissect this. You changed the starter clutch because for either of 2 reasons.
1), After you ditched the bike, and tried to start it again, the starter motor just spun without engaging the engine? or
2), you were trying to get it started, and thought it was the starter clutch?

Please let us know what the answer is to the above question, because it will dictate the next point of attack for solving this issue.
I installed a new starter clutch because when attempting to start the bike I heard the box of rocks sound.
The starter clutch definitely had loose bolts but was otherwise OK.

Did you check for proper function of the diode block, and the pressure sensor?
And with the ignition on, (and Engine Stop Switch closed) what voltage are you reading at the red/black wire, at the Ignitor connection?
Cheers!
I replaced the Diode block with one Sean sent me and I also tested my Diode block and it tested good.

Wasn't there an issue with the manual being wrong on the pick-up resistance test? Telling us to test the wrong wires? My brain isn't 100%
Manual says orange is the common color. It should be black.
I'll definitely re-check the pick up coil resistance but I think I did use the Cyclepedia and Haynes Manuals for that test, see the picture in my first post here.

Thanks for the replies, I'll post what I find.

It's ALIVE !!!!!!!!

It was the neutral switch acting up.
I tested the new switch and it showed as being bad as well.
But, I noticed it didn't want to go into gear so I took it off the center stand and rocked it back and forth until it went into gear and then back into neutral and it fired right up.
Now I need to add some fresh gas and re-assemble all the parts I took off and I should be able to take a short ride later. :D

It's ALIVE !!!!!!!!

It was the neutral switch acting up.
I tested the new switch and it showed as being bad as well.
But, I noticed it didn't want to go into gear so I took it off the center stand and rocked it back and forth until it went into gear and then back into neutral and it fired right up.
Now I need to add some fresh gas and re-assemble all the parts I took off and I should be able to take a short ride later. :D

Good.....glad that your back on the road.

The clutch and neutral switches are two things to examine if you ge a 'no spark' issue. Those and the ignition pickup coil.

Fresh Gas with Sta-bil marine Ethanol Treatment and it's running like a top !!!!!!!

I took a picture after a quick ride around the neighborhood.
Everything seems to be working well.

Attachments

• Finally-Running-Right-Front.jpg
    Finally-Running-Right-Front.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 26
About time Dennis!! Hahaha. Good job. I'm glad you're back on the road.

Dale

Glad you got that pinned down. Those non-obvious problems are a bitch..

Glad you got that pinned down. Those non-obvious problems are a bitch..
Thanks,.
And you're right, I would never have thought the Neutral Switch would read as bad just because the bike was apparently stuck between Neutral and 1st (or 2nd).
But I'm just glad I didn't have to spend any more time testing connectors/electronics and tracing wiring than I did before I figured it out.

Last edited:
Update, it happened again a week or so later after I washed the bike.
It was the connector between the ignition switch and the CDI.
It had some corrosion, so I cleaned it up and put in some dielectric grease and it started right up again.

Back