no spark

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90maxman

Reaction score
need some help. washed bike and now wont start it has had a few days to dry out but still no spark. this happened once before when i bought it a few months ago but did start after washing and then i think like next day it started i shut off after running and tried to start again after sitting for an hour and would'nt start for a couple weeks. i know crazy. anyway i tested the pickup coil and it ohms out at 99 i checked resistance on coils and they ohm out in spec now im trying to test tci. on my bike the wire colors are different than what is in the manual so here is what i have left plug on box from left to right is top orange bottom blue &yellow middle black and right top red&black bottom yellow&black. right plug on box same order left top black&red bottom black middle top grey bottom white right top orange bottom yellow. manual says i should have a red&white wire going in box that should be 12 volt supply i dont have a red&white which wire would be my 12 volt supply? here is a couple photos of plugs

Attachments

• PLUG 005.jpg
    PLUG 005.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 27
  • PLUG 007.jpg
    PLUG 007.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 28
  • PLUG 008.jpg
    PLUG 008.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 26
You have the later model ignition wiring. Check for cracks in the ignitor box. Clean each connector and pack well with dielectric grease.

For 12V input power look at the red/black wire.

Not sure which plug. There's a red with black stripe and a black with red stripe. You want red wire with black stripes. The other wire goes to the pressure sensor.

red with black stripe is on right side plug. i have 12 v on that wire also on that same plug i have 12v on the grey 12 v on orange 12 v on white but only 1 volt on the yellow wire.

The gray, white, orange, and yellow go from ignition coils to ignitor. They could read 12V, depends on crank position. Ignitor drops ground to fire the coil. 12 volts to red/black and black/red are correct. Easiest way to see if output wires from ignitor to coils are firing is with oscilloscope. Same with p/u coil.

correction i do have 12v on the yellow wire too just did'nt have a good contact. but when cranking each wire yellow orange grey and white only drop in voltage very little and stay in the 11 volt range. i read somewhere when cranking voltage should drop quite a bit? so i should have 12 volts on the black &red on the left plug too?

I don't think the meter is sensitive enough. Mine doesn't even register a change. That's why I recommend an oscilloscope.

The black/red wire should have about 2 volts when 12volts is applied to red/black wire and negative battery is applied to black/yellow.

i dont have an oscilliscope. so if pick up coil is within spec on ohms would you rule that out?

Yeah. Wouldn't hurt to unplug p/u coils connector, clean and pack with dielectric grease. I'm wondering if it's the ignitor.

im gonna unplug pick up coil connection and pack with grease and unplug ignitor plugs and clean and pack with grease and see what happens. if not im suspecting ignitor too. i will do that tomorrow and update you. thanks

also i read in another post of yours that i should be getting 12v from orange wire in left plug coming from pu coil is this correct?

I'm not sure about that. I know orange from ignition coil but can't remember for p/u coil.

I just went through something like this with my 90 model. Follow the pick up wire all the way to the case. When i replaced mine it was orignal and the wires had factory splices just outside the case that were exposed touching each other, Didn't know until i replaced it. It would ohm out fine but messed up tci box. Replaced both and good again.

unplugged connectors and packed with dielectic grease no change. i did recheck pick up coil and it is still 99 but i also tested it while cranking engine over and it was bouncing all over the place so i suspect it is deffinitely sending the signal but the tci is not relaying it out to coils. and according to manual it says check pick up coil resistance and all coils resistance and if they all pass than the tci is deffective. so can anyone lead me in the right direction of who has the best prices of one? i did look on ebay and there are a couple used ones but i dont know if i want to chance a used one who knows how long it will last. but if anybody has one used and wants to part with it let me know with price. thanks

pick up coils i got from yamaha parts depot 280 i think. Tci unit from john furbur at rmsportmax.

well i think im just gonna replace with a dyna 3000. but would like to know how easy is it to change the curves? do you have to access the box to change them each time?

well i think im just gonna replace with a dyna 3000. but would like to know how easy is it to change the curves? do you have to access the box to change them each time?

Just don't go Dyna 3k if you're running COPs - they blow!

If you're running stock coils / wires / plug caps you're fine.

Latest posts

Back