No start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toadwillie

Reaction score
Not sure if there is a thread on this yet, couldn't find it if there is.
Yesterday was a hot day 34 Celsius. A few times during a ride my 85' stalled on me rolling up to a traffic light. I think my idle is too low, however twice it would not start again. There was no power to anything, no head light, no neutral light. After a few minutes power came back and the bike started fine. My battery seems fine. My stator and regulator/rectifier were recently changed due to a poor charge.

I have a road trip planned in a week and am now having second thoughts on going.

Has this happened to any one before?

Any ideas at all would be appreciated.

Start checking connections nearest the battery first. If you are losing all power temporarily, I'd look at the MAIN FUSE harness & it's connections first. On a rally ride recently, one rider experienced a totally dead bike when slowing for in-town traffic. Same symptoms as this. His main fuse harness was heating up and disconnecting itself while he rode. Wasn't blowing the fuse, but the connector itself was melting into totally loose connections.

Also check into cleaning the ignition switch. There is a sticky about that, one of the FL guys contributed it, as I recall.

Yes a crummy ground could do that too. Checking continuity w/a multimeter set on sound & flexing wires to see if there is an internal break, once they test ok in a static check is also something to do, and, any connectors are suspect as they may look ok but be broken where the wires attach, corroded, or overheated & the nylon block isn't allowing good insertion of the M-F commectors. my stator wires connector was brown & crumbling when I was checking on problems once.

Last year, there was Naughty G had a simular problem, and it was the ground on the right side be the engine. Once the ground wire would get hot, it would separate itself (where it is bolted) inside the sheath, and the vehicle would suddenly die. When the vehicle would get cool again, everything would be fine again.
http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=27854

I will definitely check the grounds aswell. I am pretty sure the stator wires to the regulator are good as I soldered them instead of using the clips. That solved an issue I had with those wires over heating a year ago.

Check my sticky in the "how to" forum for some ideas. You're not the first person to have electrical issues on a hot bike. Hopefully steps outlined there will resolve the issue.

also you may check your kick stand switch this happen to me when I went to the beach last weekend it got stuck some how motor would not run. no lights nothing.

Back