No Tach/Will not run... Help!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxPower

Reaction score
My 85 Max started misfiring under high load around 6-7K yesterday so I tried to baby it home thinking I got some bad gas. I stoped for a pack of cigars at a local station and when I tried to re-fire my bike it would not start. After a couple times it fired off but as soon as you give it gas it bogs down or stalls. I also noticed at that time I have no lights (oil/nuetral/etc.) and no tachometer.

After about 10 minutes it fired up and ran fine... For about a block where it proceded to stall out and not re-fire. Once I got a friend to haul it back to my house it fired right up but will only idle, if you gas it it dies.

I'm thinking it is an ignition problem do to the fact I have no Tach signal. It just bugs me that I have no dash lights as well.

I did power wash it about an hour before this happened but it drove fine for an hour until I parked it. Any ideas would be appreciated. I will be checking for spark when I get home tonight.

The worst part of the whole ordeal is while we were loading it up the ramps into his truck the ramp slipped and the bike fell about 4 feet onto it's right side smashing a turn signal and destroying my Kerker muffler. :damn angry: :damn angry: :damn angry:

I would start by removing left scoop and start drying out the components and all the connectors with a hair dryer. Remove the ignitor and dry that good too. I wouldn't power wash, as you can see that doesn't work too well. I use a small spray bottle to wash the bike.

Mark

Check the fuses too,I had a shorted turn signal that would blow one of the fuses.It acted just like that.

Don't forget to check the handlebar switches. Especially the kill switch for moisture/connection problems.

While you are in the dis-assemble mode, be sure to check your fuel filter for good flow.

good luck

Shawn, like your underwear?:rofl_200:

Just kidding....not that I'd know....I'm just sayin'. lol

Mark

Check the fuses too,I had a shorted turn signal that would blow one of the fuses.It acted just like that.

I saw when I was on the side of the road that the taillight fuse was blown. I'll replace it when I get home and see if it improves.

Thanks for the reply's, I'm crossing my fingers.

ive powerwashed my bike a lot of times and never had any problems. Ill definitely be rethinking that idea! I hate cleaning my damn bike though, especially the motor, is there anything you can spray on, rinse off that wont eat your paint off?

I replaced the blown turn signal fuse last night and I now have turn signals, all dash lights, tachometer, and brake lights working properly. I fired up the bike and it seemed to run OK but I didn't take it out for a run as it was 11:30pm and I have no muffler.

I will go run it tonight, hopefully it's fixed.

It's wierd that a 10amp turn signal fuse would cause any issues with drivability. There must be some sort of cross over wiring. :hmmm:

Clintard, I use my spray bottle as much as possible on engine. On the bottom or above the middle gear area I use degreaser. Finally, I use this to make the engine look brand spanking new. Get it at any auto parts store.

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/pc-2134-152-cd-2-engine-detailer-125-oz-case-of-6-4516-c.aspx

Mark

Pledge furniture polish does the same thing. use the brown bottle only, not the lemon, spray the engine and it will bring all the black pieces to a shine.

I replaced the blown turn signal fuse last night and I now have turn signals, all dash lights, tachometer, and brake lights working properly. I fired up the bike and it seemed to run OK but I didn't take it out for a run as it was 11:30pm and I have no muffler.

I will go run it tonight, hopefully it's fixed.

It's wierd that a 10amp turn signal fuse would cause any issues with drivability. There must be some sort of cross over wiring. :hmmm:

I think the fuel pump quits pumping so it won't run.

Took it out for a spin and everything is running fine.

Thanks for the help guys.

Latest posts

Back