Not a Max, but need some help on some Faser carbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxed141

Reaction score
Put a Dynojet stage three kit on my Fazer... Runs great up top and at idle but midrange is bad. Lowered the needles to the second setting, but still no change. Anyone have one of these that they tinker with? Haven't checked the float level yet, could that cause a mid range stumble and miss?

I have done a few but not really messed all that much with the stock motor and stage 3 (usually dealing with the 1000 engines). Floats don't seem to be as determining to set as compared to the Vmax. May just need to keep making the adjustments and see what it finally does.

I'm having the same problem with my fazer. Keep me posted on what you figure out.

I had never heard of a Fazer... So I googled it... After sifting through a ton of images of plasti bikes I thought to myself "hey that looks like a VMax Jr" and now I need one, mostly to just park it next to my Max and do a happy dance... So if you get tired of tinkering with yours, I'll take it off your hands(if it's the fzx700) and tinker on it until I die.

Ha! We have one we started to build for a customer but haven't heard from him in awhile. I'd want to exhaust all efforts before we committed to sell it or finish the build for another customer. The original build plan is for a 1000cc conversion though i have a standard 700 and even a 750 engine available.

I had never heard of a Fazer... So I googled it... After sifting through a ton of images of plasti bikes I thought to myself "hey that looks like a VMax Jr" and now I need one, mostly to just park it next to my Max and do a happy dance... So if you get tired of tinkering with yours, I'll take it off your hands(if it's the fzx700) and tinker on it until I die.

I actually have two of them... one is just a parts bike though. I couldn't sell it, I have owned it for long time. They are fun bikes, just need to get it running right again.

At this point, I think I am going to try the stock needles. Just going to keep tinkering till I get it. It was running really good before the jet change, just lack fuel on the top end. Its like one step forward and two back! :bang head:

Have you done a plug chop to see if you have large enough mains?

Yeah they are a cool bike.
Specs:
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_fzx750%2087.htm

If V-max 750 would have been released?
FZX750.jpg

FZX 750 Fazer: the concept instead of a V-max 750.
Here's what the V-Max designer said:
Mr. Araki: "We gave up the project of 750cc engine variation on V-max. However another idea came up, to make a new American model with the engine of FZ 750. Soon this became the FZX 750. There was a limitation to succeed a real macho image comparable to V-max due to the 45 degrees forward inclined parallel 4-cylinder. Therefore we had to take a chance with a unique and original design of FZX."
The "small V-max" was nicknamed Fazer for Europe; being less extreme and macho than its bigger brother, it was more versatile and still had a character of its own.

If they're CV carbs I would think the same methods for tuning would work for them as any other CV carb.
The "Carb Bible" thread is a really good one to start with.

Hey Maxed141:

I've been running my '86 FZX700 for a few months now, and I FINALLY got the carbs set up. It was a bee-otch, believe me, but it's finally settled and it kicks butt.

Alright, here's the deal:

I'm in Peoria, AZ, so we are at a very low elevation. I'm using a 4-1 Kerker exhaust system and 4 individual K&N air filters (one for each of the 4 carbs.)

- Mixture screws are 3 turns out

- #25 pilot jets

- #132.5 main jet

- OEM needles are at first clip (that is, they are as lean as possible, believe it or not)

Just make sure you have synced your carbs! And run only regular unleaded (not the mid- or super-unleaded).

This setup, for me, kicks butt. I also am running a 17 tooth front sprocket, and went all the way down to a 40 tooth rear sprocket. Top speed is MUCH better (she runs up to 125 mph), and the 6 gears are actually much more practical.

That's it. Good luck!

Elimax

Elimax,
Thanks for sharing your setup...

Quick update, swapped out the needles for the OEM, set the mixture 3 turns, and bam!!! That was the ticket.... OEM needles change the entire mid-range from 4k-5500k. Runs like an animal now... Not keep up with my Busa fast, but for an 86 it's quick! Thanks for all the advise, this board rocks

Back