occasional clicking/popping sound from engine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farleydog

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just got my first Vmax, a 96. Have always wanted one and I love it. However, I have a question, occasionally I get a click or slight click/pop sound from the engine left side. This only happens a few times on a 10 min ride around the neighbor hood and I am just putting around, low rpms 10-20 mph. Also, is it okay to unscrew/remove the plug wire from the coil pack under the seat to remove the battery. The bike has 18000 on it. Thanks for any advice.

Oh, forgot to say welcome to the forum.............
+1 Welcome. It's ok to unscrew the plug wire as long as you push it back in fully. I'm not sure you need to for batt service though. I think I used to unbolt the coil bracket to make room.
Like Joe said, sync and maybe a/f adjustment.
Steve-o

Hello everyone. I just got my first Vmax, a 96. Have always wanted one and I love it. However, I have a question, occasionally I get a click or slight click/pop sound from the engine left side. This only happens a few times on a 10 min ride around the neighbor hood and I am just putting around, low rpms 10-20 mph. Also, is it okay to unscrew/remove the plug wire from the coil pack under the seat to remove the battery. The bike has 18000 on it. Thanks for any advice.

Is it when the bike is cold? if so its back firng in the air box, this is usually normal & goes away after the engine reaches operating temperature.
try using sea foam fuel additive for a few tanks, it might help.
Carb sync as mentioned before is a good idea, readjusting A/F mixture screws to 2.5 turns will also help & check air filter clean or replace depending on its condition.
are the carbs stock or have jet kits in it?
if all fails carbs need cleaning.

Hey, thanks for the help, you guys are wonderful. It will still make this noise occasionally after it is warm. One other note, it smells a little more gassy than I would expect. My old 82 750 Maxim never smelled gassy after I pulled into the garage. The seller told me he just had the carbs synced. I might get a carb sync tool, what is best for the money, dial types? I'll have to do some more looking around here about carbs, as I'm carburation challenged.

Hey, thanks for the help, you guys are wonderful. It will still make this noise occasionally after it is warm. One other note, it smells a little more gassy than I would expect. My old 82 750 Maxim never smelled gassy after I pulled into the garage. The seller told me he just had the carbs synced. I might get a carb sync tool, what is best for the money, dial types? I'll have to do some more looking around here about carbs, as I'm carburation challenged.

http://www.carbtune.co.uk/c.com/

Back