Odyssey Battery Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-cman

Alien Abductee
Reaction score
OK, so I had a DOH moment. :bang head: A few days ago I left the ignition/headlight on when I left my Max at the storage unit. Came back today and the Odyssey battery was totally dead. I put it on my Battery Tender and left. My question is, did I ruin the battery and if not, will the Battery Tender charge it back to full charge? It is the 1.5 volt Battery Tender, not the .75 volt one.

I would think it would charge back up but take longer.

What I have turned into a habit is when I turn the bike off I always take the key out a half pull or so, then I know it is off.

O

yea i think it will be ok.. tough dam battery the odyssey:biglaugh:. a long slow charge is allways best IMO

Odyssey told me awhile back the battery will not take a charge from being discharged unless its charged at 10 amps for around 12-16 hours

Well, I will know something the next time I get to the storage unit. It will be on the Battery Tender for several days. Never ran a AGM battery completely down before. Don't know what to expect. :confused2: Really don't want to buy another.

Haven't ridden much this year. Been way too hot here in Texas.

Odyssey told me awhile back the battery will not take a charge from being discharged unless its charged at 10 amps for around 12-16 hours

I have heard something like that also. Also have heard automatic chargers will not complete charge an Odyssey. The extra resistance of an AGM or gel battery fools many automatic chargers into shutting off before the battery is completely charged. Some of the newer auto chargers have a setting for gel/AGM batteries. If it isn't charged by the Tender, I will have to remove and bring to house to charge so I can monitor and time the charging.

I've been using a Generic Trickle Charger on my Panasonic Sealed AGM Battery for the last 3-4 years or so and it works fine.
But I have never completely drained the Battery either.

I would think it would charge back up but take longer.

What I have turned into a habit is when I turn the bike off I always take the key out a half pull or so, then I know it is off.

O
Vmax mecanic is stronger thah the key switch
it is easy with old (mine 1998, near 100,000Km) Max to remove key with parking lights on
i can run mine with the key in my pocket:bang head:

If you do a search under my name and Odyssey you find I posted info about the Odyssey distributorocated in Ft. Lauderdale. Contact them to find-out about the charging issue.

On a similar note, I have heard that my Li-ion Ballistic battery uses a different charger. As two of my bikes now have them I should be adding a dedicated charger. They have a cool port like a USB where you are supposed to plug it in on top of the case.

Yup. Go to the Odyssey website, look under "Literature". Scads of info there, including bringing back a battery from the dead. Cannot be done with a trickle charger. Requires major amperage.
Think of the battery as a heart attack victim. Would you use a palm massager to revive,:confused2: or a defibrillator? :punk:
Cheers!

Well, I will know something the next time I get to the storage unit. It will be on the Battery Tender for several days. Never ran a AGM battery completely down before. Don't know what to expect. :confused2: Really don't want to buy another.

Haven't ridden much this year. Been way too hot here in Texas.

I did the same with a different brand of AGM. 10 amps for 2 1/2 hrs did the trick. A trickle charger is more of a maintain kind of thing. But, still may work. I never use them anymore since going to an AGM type battery.

Latest posts

Back