Oil change. Less oil in ny engine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX1260

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a headache with this this. Changed my oil . The oil that came out was 2.8 ltr. . The oil sight glass was a little over the middle. Changed filter new oil in 2.9 ltr !!!!. The bike was in middle stand. I can see the oil inthe sight glass again little over the half. What the f#$k is happening. It is the second time in a row that this happens. Why my bike fills with 2.9 instead of 3.5 yamaha says. I did started it so the level drop a little so i can fill a little more. But 2.9 ltr is a bit troubling me

I can't say I've measured it George, but I put a board under the front wheel when I drain the oil on the center stand (17"wheels) And drain the transmission. Then, remove the board and let the filter area drain.
Steve-o

There is also a drain point on the middle gear cover, the fastener with the copper O ring. Don't know how much come out though.
There will also be some oil that has been absorbed into the filter as well.

All these years i havent drained the drain point for the gearbox. And my bike when i change my oil 3.5-3.6 oil come out from the main plug and 3.5-3.6 to fill it to the correct possition in the sight glass

maybe more oil is clinging to the upper parts of the engine, I never measure mine, I just take out what will come out and then refill until the level is correct

Perhaps your motor has the rare but not unheard of case of 'the shrinks' (sharp intake of breath from the gathered ensemble!)
The cause is open to speculation but current thinking is that as the universe is expanding there has to be an equal and opposite reaction and the metallic bonds of the metal are tightening thus causing the the reduction in capacity that you have noted.
A recent yet to be peer reviewed paper from the MaxM University suggested that at the current rates there would be no room for oil by 2350.

Not that it would a problem for any of us.

There is also a drain point on the middle gear cover, the fastener with the copper O ring. Don't know how much come out though.
There will also be some oil that has been absorbed into the filter as well.
Well I did not know about this. Can you give me a little more detail on this oil drain location? Thanks Mark

I don't have a picture but if you look at the middle gear cover you will (should) see that one of the fasteners at the bottom has a copper O ring. Remove this and any residual oil still in that part of the crankcase will come out. Probably best done with the bike on the side stand.

Back