Oil on rear tire - What could it be?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelerBike

Reaction score
Well, I noticed I have an oil leak somewhere. It's pooling on my rear tire (kickstand side). I haven't noticed it leaking onto the floor though.

Is this a simple seal that's leaking or am I in for a rude awakening at the stealership?

Thanks All,
Steeler

if no idea where it's coming from I would clean off existing oil and watch it like a hawk and determine where it is coming from before the trip to the steelership. That step could get costly there lol

ON your rear tire? I can't think of anything above your tire that would do that.

maybe the rear differential drain plug? or something is leaking near the output and running down the swingarm.

Could be rear diff seal (there are a few different ones) as that's the only thing with fluid back there. You have a seal on the end of the driveshaft that seals the front, a seal on the inner drive side and a seal on the outer side (near where the axle comes out). Dealer isn't probably going to be able to fix that for shit but it's not all that hard to do.

Sean

Well, it turns our I need 2 shaft seals and my swing arm must come off to accomplish the task. So, I'm looking at $350 bucks. I was expecting worse news.

2 Shaft seals? What 2 shaft seals? There is one shaft seal and it only requires the clutch cover and shifter to be removed. You can remove the mid gear cover to make it a little easier. So maybe $30 in parts. Sounds like someone doesn't have a dang clue if you took it in somewhere.
Sean

almost lost my ass, i mean my rear. i did 400 miles this weekend and then noticed i had some oil on rear wheel. found out the drain plug was seeping when it got warmed up. i drained it and had about just enough to not smoke the rear. i feel lucky. love my max
mark:punk:

Latest posts

Back