Oil pressure gauges--which to get?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFleshRocket

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been browsing on Ebay for oil pressure gauge kits. I've found a couple where the gauge mounts low on the side of the motor. They're reasonably priced, at around $60 or so shipped, but a gauge that low is only good for monitoring when starting the bike or maybe when stopped at a light.

I've also found the handlebar mounted gauge kits. That makes a bit more sense because it can be monitored at all times. The only problem is the price--at around $160 shipped, it's more than two and a half times as expensive as the low-mount gauge.

Now let me state that there is no way I'm spending $160 for a gauge. (I might be willing to go as high as $80-$90 for a handlebar mount gauge, with $100 being the absolute limit.) My question, however, is this: is there any difference between the low-mount and the handlebar-mount gauges, other than the handlebar gauge requiring a lot more oil line? In other words, is there some justifiable reason that the handlebar gauge is THAT much more expensive?

I've been browsing on Ebay for oil pressure gauge kits. I've found a couple where the gauge mounts low on the side of the motor. They're reasonably priced, at around $60 or so shipped, but a gauge that low is only good for monitoring when starting the bike or maybe when stopped at a light.

I've also found the handlebar mounted gauge kits. That makes a bit more sense because it can be monitored at all times. The only problem is the price--at around $160 shipped, it's more than two and a half times as expensive as the low-mount gauge.

Now let me state that there is no way I'm spending $160 for a gauge. (I might be willing to go as high as $80-$90 for a handlebar mount gauge, with $100 being the absolute limit.) My question, however, is this: is there any difference between the low-mount and the handlebar-mount gauges, other than the handlebar gauge requiring a lot more oil line? In other words, is there some justifiable reason that the handlebar gauge is THAT much more expensive?

Nope...

They're cheaper if you go direct to the source too...

www.cycleoneoff.com is the one that posts them on ebay...

I am not a big fan of there's as they are very slow and never contact you after the sale...

So the only difference is the extra oil line Shawn?

Yah,On mine I just ran that 1/8th " high pressure plastic line up through the bike to my gage I mounted on the bars.I used those fittings that you just shove the tubing in.I put the 1/8" in some rubber tubibg to protect it some.It works good but I wish it had a light for night time.I also went with a big gauge and put it up near the speedo.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 36
Shawn, what did you use to mount the gauge to your handlebar or speedometer?

I ought to be able to find a gauge itself no problem, and the same goes for the line, but what about the part that screws into the engine block?

Thanks!

Shawn,

Yeow! dat bike is lookin' sweets.

Is that a shifter I spy? Nice, If you wanna race LTF I'll put up the cash.

Shawn, what did you use to mount the gauge to your handlebar or speedometer?

I ought to be able to find a gauge itself no problem, and the same goes for the line, but what about the part that screws into the engine block?

Thanks!

I found some 2 piece split collars(7/8th") that bolt onto the bars nice and made an aluminum bracket to screw the gauge into.You have to drill and tap the stock plug with a pipe thread tap ,then just screw it in.I did the same with the gauge mount but went in deeper with the tap to let the gauge screw in farther.Then screwed the fitting onto the end of the gauge for the tubing.

Shawn,

Yeow! dat bike is lookin' sweets.

Is that a shifter I spy? Nice, If you wanna race LTF I'll put up the cash.

Yah,I have an air shifter and a 2 stage rev limiter.They are not done yet because I am still dialing in the flatslides.They will be when it heads to the strip soon.The dyno is next.

Latest posts

Back