oil pressure ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIM93MAX

Reaction score
today was the first time i got to really ride since winter and i noticed the oil pressure changes. like at idle its around 20 psi ( bike was warmed up ) , normal cruzing its about 40-50 psi but if i tack it up in the r's then i get the 75-80 psi or when i first start it up when cold with choke on it reads 75-80 psi does this sound normal. i think i might try and change the oil and see if its reacts different since i havent changed it yet for the new season. also i realized its runs at about 220 deg with fan on and fully warmed up is that too hot do u think ? or no.

today was the first time i got to really ride since winter and i noticed the oil pressure changes. like at idle its around 20 psi ( bike was warmed up ) , normal cruzing its about 40-50 psi but if i tack it up in the r's then i get the 75-80 psi or when i first start it up when cold with choke on it reads 75-80 psi does this sound normal. i think i might try and change the oil and see if its reacts different since i havent changed it yet for the new season. also i realized its runs at about 220 deg with fan on and fully warmed up is that too hot do u think ? or no.

Sounds a little high Jim. I believe the pressure relief is set at 65 psi. My gauge never goes over that and warmed up at idle it's almost nothing...4 -6 psi. When you rev it up normal O/P reading is roughly 10 psi for every 1K rpm, or at 3,000rpm's O/P should be around 30 psi.

Sounds like your gauge might be reading about 15 psi high.

thanks for the input i was basicly asking if it was suposed to move with rpm. but i have a highly moded motor and it has a high pressure oiling system thats why it read so high. but thanks because if yours changes too, and mine is doing the same thing then im good

hey guys, so i just put COO pressure gauge on and did the oil, filter and put a new oil sensor unit in the vmax.

when i first turned on the bike it showed about 25 PSI. the engine was still warm to the touch, but it was in the lower 1/4 of the temp gauge...

let the bike idle for a bit and it dropped to about 15 psi (maybe 2-3 minutes).

then took her out for a mile ish ride brought her back and shes about 10 psi.

turned off the bike and looked at the oil, oil level was wicked low, so filled her right to the middle of the glass and turned the bike back on. idling it fluctuated between say like 6 -11 psi...

does that sound about right since the bike probably wasn't truly warmed up?

how long until you see the 4 - 6 psi mark? it looks from my haynes normal is 3.6 PSI?

when i revved it it seemed to do about 10 - 15 PSI per 1k rpms...

it was dark out so hard to tell when i was out riding

well if i had searched and not just asked blindly it looks like thats all within spec as my oil probably wasn't at temp yet even tho the thermostat said it was....

i'll have a better idea tomorrow once i run it 20 miles to work...

started her up this morning and the pressure was pegged...

after a 20 mile run to work, at idle it was about 4 PSI. and about 10 PSI per 1k RPM. everything seems to be looking good!

started her up this morning and the pressure was pegged...

after a 20 mile run to work, at idle it was about 4 PSI. and about 10 PSI per 1k RPM. everything seems to be looking good!

Sounds perfectly normal! I'm sure there's a slight difference between gauges too, no way around it...some will be a little high, some a little low.

Just no way they all will be dead nuts on!!

Sounds perfectly normal! I'm sure there's a slight difference between gauges too, no way around it...some will be a little high, some a little low.

Just no way they all will be dead nuts on!!

sounds good danny, thanks man!

Back