ok, dont think its the fuel pump.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliffclaven

Reaction score
max died on a ride yesterday, trailered home, thought the fuel pump went out. Call me stupid, but i think i just ran out of gas, however...

My fuel light just came on about a mile before it died. i also just switched to reserve at the same time the light came on. I put a gallon of gas in today, and it clicked with two turns of the key, third time it primed up like normal. :confused2:

This concerns me, because now im thinking my low fuel light is not reading right, or, ive got a problem with my reserve switch or pickup in the tank? Today its running/idling fine, and no constant running of the pump. :ummm: wtf.

max died on a ride yesterday, trailered home, thought the fuel pump went out. Call me stupid, but i think i just ran out of gas, however...

My fuel light just came on about a mile before it died. i also just switched to reserve at the same time the light came on. I put a gallon of gas in today, and it clicked with two turns of the key, third time it primed up like normal. :confused2:

This concerns me, because now im thinking my low fuel light is not reading right, or, ive got a problem with my reserve switch or pickup in the tank? Today its running/idling fine, and no constant running of the pump. :ummm: wtf.
Sounds like you might have a faulty fuel switch, on the "reserve" position Very easy to tell - just make sure there is lots of fuel in the tank, then switch to reserve. The bike should continue to run.
p.s. - do this test in your driveway!
Cheers!

Is it possible that you've been running with your fuel selector switch set to reserve all this time, and when the light finally did come on, you switched it back to normal mode? I've read on here where some guys have difficulty making the proper distinction with that switch.

Also, it was completely normal for the pump to take more than a couple of key switch cycles to refill your empty carb bowls.

Is it possible that you've been running with your fuel selector switch set to reserve all this time, and when the light finally did come on, you switched it back to normal mode? I've read on here where some guys have difficulty making the proper distinction with that switch.

Also, it was completely normal for the pump to take more than a couple of key switch cycles to refill your empty carb bowls.
nah, it was definitely on the "on" position. I filled up today... put 3.929 gallons in. That means my fuel light came on with basically .1 gallon left. Somethings not right. :confused2:

Just a shot in the dark, but maybe dirty/corroded connection at the fuel level sensor or its wiring. As I understand it, the sensor heats up when the fuel level is below it, triggering the light and stopping the pump. Bad connection might not have let it heat up enough.

I sort of have the same problem and don't trust my reserve light anymore. I keep track of miles and if gets close to the limit I'll head to a station.

ive driven 10 miles after lights come on and driven 1 mile before running dry....dont trust it I go off my odometer and when 100-110 miles traveled I fuel up

I think it varies from bike to bike. I know mine lights up just about the time I start pushing. I just reset the trip meter each fill up and start looking in ernest at 90 miles as previously stated.

When my light comes on....I usually have another gallon left.
I normally get 110-115 miles to the light which normally means I have about 20-25 miles to push time. I normally try to fill up around 110-120 mile mark on the odo and it's usually between 3 to 3.4 gal to fill.

As previously posted, I'm hunting for a gas station at the 90-100 mile mark on the odometer. When my reserve light illuminates I have around a half gallon / 12 miles left in the tank but I've never pushed it to prove the actual final range on reserve.

Chris.

Back