Opinion: Upgrade from an '85 to what year?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
Just fishing for opinions here....

I won't be buying an '09 any time soon and really don't want to get away from the Max right now. So assuming a smokin' deal came along on another Max, what year would you guys look for?

What do you think is the nicest, newest VMax that a guy could get for say, $4k?

Is it possible to get to at least a year 2000 model for $4k? Re-answer that question and let's say that the $4k includes the cost of shipping the bike...

i got my 2003 with 1800 miles for $4200

EDIT:

Craigslist is your friend.. thats where i found my 2003. There are a few sites out there that let you do a search on all of craigslist...

my old one ('94) i found on ebay but they happened to be somewhat local so i went out there and did a private deal...

i got my 2003 with 1800 miles for $4200

EDIT:

Craigslist is your friend.. thats where i found my 2003. There are a few sites out there that let you do a search on all of craigslist...

my old one ('94) i found on ebay but they happened to be somewhat local so i went out there and did a private deal...

Good find! I thought I did well....I got mine last fall (an 02) with 10k miles for $4250 from a dealor off eBay. Just don't be too impatient and you will find something close by and at a good price. (Then you can sell me your 85 really cheap!:clapping:)

yea. My new one needs some cosmetic work (missing side panels, didn't have any disks for supertrapps, master brake cylinder needs some paint etc), but now is the time to buy! end of season getting rid of the vmaxes....

Edit:

. (Then you can sell me your 85 really cheap!:clapping:)

WHy do you want his '85? You have a 02!!

also sweet now i'm a senior member!!! hah

I just got an 85 for a drag bike project, still need parts.

Plus, you can never have too many VMaxes! No kids yet, so I might as well stock up on the toys while I can!

eh fair enough! toys are always good!

As far as answering the question more, i know sean morley commented a while back on another thread for someone looking for a used max and i think all the changes were done mostly by '96. If you are going to upgrade i would say goto late 90's early 2000's for that price and that way you are getting a 10-15 yr newer bike

You can always go to the HD 883 sportster...

Can you imagine all 50hp tearing that rear 120 tire all the way down the boulevard:biglaugh:

might as well just go one with of these....

Attachments

• LX_skyBlue.jpg
    LX_skyBlue.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 2
might as well just go one with of these....

Ahahahahaha...............

there is already a scooter in my garage! In-laws dropped the POS off to be fixed... I had no choice.....

I think I'm going to speed wobble it out the back of the truck bed at 75mph ....

I know of two other changes since 1996. The oil gallery was modified to reduce the possibility of the o-ring popping out (about 2002) and the trans was changed to stop the pin(s) dropping out problem (about 2000). There may be more but that is all I know of. Sean knows the exact years or a search will find discussions of these problems with more specific info.

good info as well...

aside from mechanical issues, if i was to do it all over again i'd def search for one with black rims, as powdercoating mine is only more time and more $$.

So take in cosmetic preferences too maybe?

Latest posts

Back