PC 680

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammeron

Reaction score
Just received my PC 680 battery thanks to searching on this great forum.
-
Question is, i measured the voltage right out of the box at 12.63 which I am very pleased with. But, should I just install it and try to fire up the bike, or do you put it on a charger before installing?
-
I don't want to mess up a perfectly good battery. Thank you.

Well....about 12.7V is ideal.

You'll be fine if you use it "as is", but maybe you want to go for a long enjoyable ride, like over 50 miles.

If it were me, I would top it off with a trickle charger (<2A) if you have one that is good quality that won't overcharge it and boil the electrolyte.

You'll be fine if you use it "as is", but maybe you want to go for a long enjoyable ride, like over 50 miles.

If it were me, I would top it off with a trickle charger (<2A) if you have one that is good quality that won't overcharge it and boil the electrolyte.
Ok, thank you! I do have a trickle charger. I'll put it on for an hour than install.

Bang-on advice!

BTW - just switching out my original PC680...15yrs old. That is INSANE...I've never had a battery before that lasted more than 5 yrs. Admittedly it's in a heated garage that ranges from 5-30oC through the year and it gets put on a quality battery charger 1 or 2 times in the off-months for a few days. If the next one lasts the same length of time, it may outlast the bike.

By the way. 2.1V per cell is standard. A 12V battery is 6 cells so a fully charged battery is 12.60 and anything over that is what we would call a surface charge. No need to put it on a charger. Install and ride.

My pc680 is 14 years old. And still works like it was new. I didn't even use my battery tender over the winter.pulled the bike out. Cycled the fuel pump a couple times. And the vmax roared to life. I'm sure there might be better batteries. But the 680 is a good choice.

I just got mine a couple months ago. First one I've ever used. I sure hope I get the same results you guys did. That would be epic.

Just an update, I fired the Max up for the first time this morning, after installing the brand new battery. It fired right up, strong and powerful. I did put a trickle charger on it for an hour before.
-
I'll never go back to lead acid, what a pain those were for me over the years.
-
If it were not for this great site, I might never have known about this great battery.
-
Keep the shiny side up fellow riders.

Back