Perplexing problem - can anyone help?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, '85 through '89 are swappable and '90 through '07 are interchangeable.

Shuriken,

WTF happened!???? It sounds like me and you have the same problem...

I read through all these pages and then it just ends with no solution!

Spit it out brother! What fixed the beast?

HDKILA...

It was ignition coil lead wires/caps. I replaced #1 and #3 ignition coil units (including lead wires/caps) with stock ones from a newer VMax. Problem solved.

Somehow the coils/lead wires were breaking down when the bike warmed up or when the RPMS increased - acted just like a rev limiter.

Haven't had a single hitch since.

HDKILA...

It was ignition coil lead wires/caps. I replaced #1 and #3 ignition coil units (including lead wires/caps) with stock ones from a newer VMax. Problem solved.

Somehow the coils/lead wires were breaking down when the bike warmed up or when the RPMS increased - acted just like a rev limiter.

Haven't had a single hitch since.

I found that out from Mark last night. I only ordered two coils and did not order wires or caps. Do you think that would make a difference?

Thanks,
Abe

Might as well Abe. I get four NGK boots and copper core wire for all 4 cylinders for less than $20.

Abe, try local bike dealer. They have regular wire on a spool. Just get 4 feet of it. Boots you want are NGK SB05F.

Abe, try local bike dealer. They have regular wire on a spool. Just get 4 feet of it. Boots you want are NGK SB05F.

You think I can get that wire from advance auto? It's just wire correct?

Where do you rec'd I get those boots? Are those dealer items?

Advance Auto or Napa should carry wire and boots. Wires I use are 7 mm.

hello all, i would like to add my two cents worth, CHANGE THE GAS !!!. also get it from somplace else. bad gas can really make the bike act like it could be a electrical problem .any mosture in the gas that gets into the carbs can restrict the emolsion circuts in the carbs and can be pluging them up intermittenly,making for a hard diagnoses. hope this helps. best to you buckridge

hello all, i would like to add my two cents worth, CHANGE THE GAS !!!. also get it from somplace else. bad gas can really make the bike act like it could be a electrical problem .any mosture in the gas that gets into the carbs can restrict the emolsion circuts in the carbs and can be pluging them up intermittenly,making for a hard diagnoses. hope this helps. best to you buckridge

i have had gas from all over the place since this started. definetly not a gas problem.

I hate to say it but it kinda sounds like the same thing i was goin through. Do a compression test on all cylinders. Should be 150 to 175.

All of a sudden i have the same problem. Front right cylinder cuts out at around 4K fires up again when i let off the gas. Have had the carbs off numerous times im convinced it's not a carb issue at this point all the other plugs look great after doing a plug chop when it's spluttering. :bang head: Low RPM run great.

I had a problem with my sparks last year (before I did the COP mod)

Turned out to be a problem inside the spark plug caps, the ends of the resistor in two caps were rusted to nothing, all that was left was a black powder

I replaced them with new NGK caps. The insides look something like this...

Spark%20Plug%20Cap%20Details.jpg

Gonna do the COP mod on it this weekend got some R1 plug caps of ebay. After all the reading i got a feeling this will fix her up. Thanks for the info. Will post the results.

I know this sounds like its TOO easy and you might have tried it but it was the bain of my existance for MONTHS and 4 trips to the shop found me no place...The final solution? Make SURE that the hose from your #1 cylinder to the vacuum advance has NO KINKS,TEARS,CUTS, OR RIPS. Anything happens to that hose and your screwed the pooch till you realize thats the issue.Just give it a shot and it might be the worlds easiest fix for a serious problem.Hope you get it.

Latest posts

Back