Picked up a new toy

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah it's going to be a bit before I get to pick one up. I'm getting ready to start reloading I believe, so that's going to be a chunk in the begining.

It isn't too bad, just to get started.

Actually, it's a lot like owning a v max, a little here, a little there, pretty soon you got a small fortune tied up.

Are you going to be loading just straight walled pistol rounds, or long gun stuff also?

dan

Dan...

Are you drinking this early in the day??? :biglaugh:

Hate to say-I don't drink. Kinda leaves me with no excuse at all. :worthy:

1/4

Panthers are popular around here, and are really well built. Friend of mine has the RFLR-WCP, and I love that thing!

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/products/dpms-sportical-rifle-now-in-762-nato/

Neil
How does the 7.62 NATO compare with the 7.62 Russian?

That Sportical is a fine lookng piece, not overly pricey, either, for what it is.

dan

It isn't too bad, just to get started.

Actually, it's a lot like owning a v max, a little here, a little there, pretty soon you got a small fortune tied up.

Are you going to be loading just straight walled pistol rounds, or long gun stuff also?

dan

To start it's going to mostly be .45ACP as that's what the Para is and that's what I'll be doing all the competitions with. Once I start getting into it more, I'll probably run .223 for my Mini-14, perhaps .380 for the Ruger LCP I have on order, and I want to get a big bore revolver like a .44, .454, .480, or .500 which I'm sure I'd load just to be able to afford to shoot it haha.

To start it's going to mostly be .45ACP as that's what the Para is and that's what I'll be doing all the competitions with. Once I start getting into it more, I'll probably run .223 for my Mini-14, perhaps .380 for the Ruger LCP I have on order, and I want to get a big bore revolver like a .44, .454, .480, or .500 which I'm sure I'd load just to be able to afford to shoot it haha.

I got a Lee 4 station turret press kit which included: Powder measure, scales, dies for .45 ACP and shell holder on eBay for less than $150. New in the box. It's not great equipment, but it's cheap and you can get set up pretty reasonably. I'd also recommend a Lee auto prime, set of dial calipers, kenetic bullet puller (for mistakes) and a Lyman tumbler to clean up your brass. Then some powder, primers, brass and bullets and your ready to go. The Lee press will work fine for any of the pistol cartridges you're looking at but you may need something stronger for the long gun rounds.
It's fun and very satisfying to know you can crank out 500 rounds of .45 ACP in a short while, just in case you can't get to the gun shop. :biglaugh:

dan

I used to shoot thousands of shotgun rounds a year (skeet and sporting clays), then kind of gave it up after moving here to Dallas. *sigh*

I do think I'm going to take a concealed carry class this fall, and snag one of these to pack around on the bike:

163420_large.jpg

Also, it would be nice when out walking if I could again wear my watch and actually take my billfold with me. :bang head:

Somewhere i saw a similar version of that pistol but without the hammer. Its supposed to be better for concealment and easier to draw out as theres no hammer to get caught on your cloths. just a thought. if i find it ill post here.

I know S&W make hammerless in a J-Frame as well as Taurus. I've not seen a hammerless .44Mag and I'm sure it's a large frame snubby.

Here's a couple pics of my "bedside piece," just a cheap little Charter Arms .38 Spcl. loaded with XTP HP + P rounds.

Note the pocket hammer, a Charter Arms option which I would think is available on most pocketable pistols.

Very effective at 2-4 feet, without the excessive fire & noise of the .44 mag. After all, it's probably gonna go down in the middle of the night, I wanna be able to go back to sleep without my ears ringing. :biglaugh:

dan

Attachments

• Charter Arms 38 Spcl.jpg
    Charter Arms 38 Spcl.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Charter Arms .38 Spcl.jpg
    Charter Arms .38 Spcl.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 12
650SS.jpg

This is the Model 650 Taurus that's chambered for 357 Mag. That in a .38 special with the right ammo would be all you need and they're pretty accurate for 7-10 yards, more than enough distance if you were to have to use it.

I used to shoot silhouettes with my 629, and I've got several hundred rounds of 180 grain target loads. Probably make a very manageable load even in the little Smith. I've just always been a fan of the .44, so I'll probably stick with it.

Plus, nothing like lookin' down its muzzle for the intimidation factor. :biglaugh:

I know what your saying, I want a big bore revolver myself. For carry duty though I have to conceal it first, and so far even my full size 1911 is working out, but I will be picking up something to pocket carry like that Taurus posted above, or the new Ruger LCP (.380).
2388084507_da62a5b5d8.jpg

I know what your saying, I want a big bore revolver myself. For carry duty though I have to conceal it first, and so far even my full size 1911 is working out, but I will be picking up something to pocket carry like that Taurus posted above, or the new Ruger LCP (.380).
2388084507_da62a5b5d8.jpg

Holy crap that's little! My wife's going to get here CHL at the same time, perhaps I'll look at one of those for her.

Funny story, well, funny for me....not her.

We lived in Wichita while I was finishing up my degree at Wichita State, and we went out to rent a movie. I parked the car and went in, but my wife stayed outside and waited. (Keep in mind, this was about 20-years ago.)

I think we had been at my brothers house in a neighboring town, and we had been shooting....thus, my pistols were still in the car when we stopped for the movie.

Apparently, some schlub liked the look of my wife, came over to the car and exposed himself, then began to rub his, well, you know, on her passenger window.

My wife is a nurse, so it's not like it shocked her that much....but what she did was priceless. She reached in the back seat, pulled out a case, unzipped it, and pulled my nickel plated .44 Desert Eagle out of it and tapped it on the glass right by the guy's business end. While I missed this whole escapade, I guess the guy took off running, all the while trying to zip himself back up.

Thank goodness she can laugh about it today, and it didn't mess her up too badly.

However, I've seen her shoot. I'm pretty sure I know how I'll die, someday. :confused2:

If she did shoot him would that make the 44mag a PeePee Shooter
Thats double power of a P Shooter isnt it :ummm:

Latest posts

Back