VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biker Dash

Reaction score
Well, with a year's worth of experience on my beloved V-Max, I have come to the realization that, as much as I love my Woona, she does not fit the bill for what I really need.

I need something with decent range, can carry enough luggage for the trips I do, is relatively comfortable, and is still relatively light.

I REALLY hate the thought of giving up my beloved V-Max though.

Looking around, I see many bikes that come close in certain areas to what I want. The closest I have found is the new Honda CTX1300. But the price!
twilightoops.png
Other bikes have their own failures, and none that I have looked at move me the way the Max does.

Solution; turn Woona into a turning machine!

Okay, so... *waits for the thundering herd of nay-sayers*
Yes, I am serious. I will turn my gas guzzling musclebike into a longer legged touring machine that will fit my needs perfectly.

When I bought the bike, I did have a head start. It already came with a back rest and luggage rack attached.

10464365_10203287879573115_2268719470664758638_n.jpg

Thats a start, but the bike is far from what I need. Yes, I do have a throttle lock too, but that will be a topic for another post.

Where as I wish to do some longer trips, wind protection will be kinda important. This is the windshield I had on the bike. It just barely fit with the stock turn signals.

10273956_10203287879253107_6458447689475754400_n.jpg

It did okay for short jaunts, but after a hundred miles, I find myself wanting better. Of course, Dave at Starting line just happens to have a Memphis Shades Malibu windshield with the gradient tint to it. He has all the mounting gear I will need as well. AWESOME!!!

Only one problem. The turn signals will have to be moved. Not a problem. I'll find brackets.

Yeah... that was a cast iron bitch of a job. Turns out the ONLY place I could find that I could get brackets from was having the Harley Dealership in Augusta order me some. Closest they could get to a 43mm fork size was 1-3/4". That comes out to 44.45mm... DAMN! SO CLOSE! But wait, they come in black...

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY, DAMNIT!
flutterrage.png

Anyways, the clamps came in today, so I was styling. Since the clamps are a bit big for my forks, I gotta make some sizing bands. I cut some double sided seat vinyl (made for a project long ago) into the perfect length strips.

10442926_10203289320889147_5465554880893873163_n.jpg

They mounted perfectly! Nice and tight. Thank Luna I never throw shit away!

10392358_10203289471332908_6206623082999140653_n.jpg

Bolting on the turn signals was basic as hell. Only issue was the screws for the headlight. I could not get at them with a screwdriver! I ended up using a little screwdriver and a 1/4" wrench to get the screws back in. I think tomorrow, I will stop at Home Depot (Best Store for when you need redneck bike parts!) and replace the screws with something I can fit a wrench onto.
twilightsheepish.png

So, now I gotta mount the windshield. I get the clamps for the windshield on the bike, and I get the windshield ready, and I start to position it...
I said I was positioning it...

GET INTO THE POSITION I NEED YOU IN YOU [Cencored out two hours of continuous cussing]!!!!! Well, look at that, it is finally on the bike!

10402817_10203290143829720_6257609747655255017_n.jpg

IT'S MILLER TIME!!!

This one sits about 1-1/2 inches higher than the old one, and the upper portion is wider. Also, it even covers my hands, which is an added bonus. Now, it is just so I am looking over the top of it normally, but if the rain comes down, it is high enough for me to easily get a tuck in to stay relatively dry.

Project: Tour-Max is well underway!
pinkiehappy.png

Next on Project: Tour-Max, I will hard mount a set of old saddlebags that disconnects with just two nuts.

Well, with a year's worth of experience on my beloved V-Max, I have come to the realization that, as much as I love my Woona, she does not fit the bill for what I really need.

I need something with decent range, can carry enough luggage for the trips I do, is relatively comfortable, and is still relatively light.

I REALLY hate the thought of giving up my beloved V-Max though.

Solution; turn Woona into a turning machine!

Okay, so... *waits for the thundering herd of nay-sayers*
Yes, I am serious. I will turn my gas guzzling musclebike into a longer legged touring machine that will fit my needs perfectly.

Turn a perfectly good muscle bike into a TOURING machine?:bang head:
Are you effing NUTS?
You are an odd one, Mr. Bikerdash. Just my opinion.
Cheers! :clapping:

Turn a perfectly good muscle bike into a TOURING machine?
29.gif

Are you effing NUTS?
Cheers!
clapping.gif

Why yes, I am. On both accounts

For the record, just messin' with ya, Dash.
I've used mine for touring every year since 2004.
Just returned from Thunder, Skyline Drive, and the Blue Ridge Parkway. I had originally planned on a much longer haul, but had to return home due to personal reasons.
Highway pegs, pull-back handlebars, and a Venture final drive are relatively inexpensive mods that make the bike more suitable for touring.
Cheers!

29.gif

Are you effing NUTS?
Cheers!
clapping.gif

Why yes, I am. On both accounts

For the record, just messin' with ya, Dash.
I've used mine for touring every year since 2004.
Just returned from Thunder, Skyline Drive, and the Blue Ridge Parkway. I had originally planned on a much longer haul, but had to return home due to personal reasons.
Highway pegs, pull-back handlebars, and a Venture final drive are relatively inexpensive mods that make the bike more suitable for touring.
Cheers!

Miles don't forget your vibrating backrest for those long and lonely rides .:punk:

29.gif

Are you effing NUTS?
Cheers!
clapping.gif

Miles don't forget your vibrating backrest for those long and lonely rides .:punk:

Ha! I knew someone would get a kick out of that "mod"
.......and I'm sure Mr. Dash would consider ME the nutty one.....

Welp... one stage of the project got put on hold. Found a Venture differential for sale, in great shape, and for a decent price. And right at the last fucking second, some asshole snipes me. I was not too happy about that, considering that the ONLY other one for sale in the US that I was able to find was going for 4X the price, was rear ended, (you could see damage in the pic) and looked like it had been dragged through a hay field behind a quad runner...

I have Dave at Starting Line watching for a Venture engine for me... If I can score that, then I'll be styling!

Welp... one stage of the project got put on hold. Found a Venture differential for sale, in great shape, and for a decent price. And right at the last fucking second, some asshole snipes me. I was not too happy about that, considering that the ONLY other one for sale in the US that I was able to find was going for 4X the price, was rear ended, (you could see damage in the pic) and looked like it had been dragged through a hay field behind a quad runner...

I have Dave at Starting Line watching for a Venture engine for me... If I can score that, then I'll be styling!

Have you checked with Sean ?

I like the wind shield, for the cold weather rides. If your going to have one, might as well cover the hands too. I'm turned into a bagger when I travel too. On goes the Venture pumpkin, bags, wind sheild. But like Miles said, it's a travesty.

To make a long story short-----

My zx 11 was not suitable for two-up touring soooo

I bought the V-Max. Tank and soft bags, rack and back rest and a Corbin saddle:eusa_dance:

After a few longish trips my wife was not happy:confused2:

Sooo rather than spend more $$ trying to turn a muscle cruser into a tourer ---I bought a Honda Valkaryi Tourer ( and farkled it up so it a great two up tourer)

Now I've got a great Max and a great Tourer.

Not the soultion for everone but at my advanced age I'll somehow get what I want and need.

Cheers,
Lew

PS: Rack and back rest for sale:biglaugh:

I did something similar also, After weighing all my options on turning the v-max into something of a touring bike, I tallied the cost of all the mods and opted to buy an older Venture now the wife is happy and when I wanna act like and f-tard and do wheelie's and burnouts I can. :punk:

To make a long story short-----

My zx 11 was not suitable for two-up touring soooo

I bought the V-Max. Tank and soft bags, rack and back rest and a Corbin saddle:eusa_dance:

After a few longish trips my wife was not happy:confused2:

Sooo rather than spend more $$ trying to turn a muscle cruser into a tourer ---I bought a Honda Valkaryi Tourer ( and farkled it up so it a great two up tourer)

Now I've got a great Max and a great Tourer.

Not the soultion for everone but at my advanced age I'll somehow get what I want and need.

Cheers,
Lew

PS: Rack and back rest for sale:biglaugh:
Valk is way heavier than I want...

And that blue font color...

STAHP!!!
WAT R U DOIN???

STAHP!!!

In defense of my poor old Valk,

It looses all that weight at about 2 MPH. Handles very well, very steady in the turns and has NEVER had the "shakes".
It also has a boat load of torque at just off idle. Launches quite well with no drama. I have a more sporty windshield that makes the bike look the part of a muscle cruser.

IN fact,
One of the cycle mags did a 6 bike comparo of "muscle crusers. The V-max and the Valk were #'s 1&2

As for the color Is this green acceptable? Or a color that is hard to read

Or Black like the Valk.

It's kinda like a few days ago when a forum member lit up some poor fellow because of his spelling.

Lew

Last edited:
Having just done a tour with some guys rolling a Guzzi Norge and a BMW K1300 I will say that if you're serious about touring something has to be done to address the fuel range.

100-130 miles to reserve depending on the roads traveled and if non-ethanol gas was available. Those guys get double that to their tanks and are annoyed when travelling with a V-Max.

No touring thread would be complete without a mention of http://fatmax.com/vmax/vmax.htm Just talked to him about replacing my bags following a wreck on said trip, and I guess he's getting out of the game. He says he's unloading his existing stock and is done making the stuff. That's sad to me :/

I've got half a mind to save my pennies, unload my touring accessories on the Max, and keep it for the weekend joyrider while getting something like a VFR800 or Sprint ST 1050 for commuting and touring. Two bikes to maintain risk it turning it from a fun hobby to a chore, and then there's twice the annual registration, insurance, and available garage space though... the max will have to work in all likelihood.

I know this is neither here nor there but I would get her her own bike :)

My wife actually rode before I met her. She had grown up on bikes.

Anyway, I personally hate having someone on the back. It just feels too cramped. Not to mention, if you get one that rides, they have a tendency to lean in curves, making it feel weird.

As a side note, I tried riding on back for laughs and it is scary as hell after riding on your own :D

My mother in law always rode on back with my father in law. He talked her into trying to ride on here own after years and years of marriage. I think he talked her into riding a 250 Honda or something at first. She has since graduated to a larger bike and loves it.

Back