pulling my engine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daves86vmax

Reaction score
I've unbolted everything,all motor mounts,side frame rail removed.Have a jack under engine supporting it.What's the best way to remove it now?does it need to come forward then up or down ,will the drive shaft spline pull out or are there any retaining clips keeping it in the tranny?can two people get it easy enough:ummm:thanks

It's much easier if you remove the swingarm first - when I have done it, I also take the output shaft assembly (not sure if that's what it's called) off too - makes it much easier to take the engine out.

Mike

Its easier to remove the frame from engine then remove engine from frame LOL :rofl_200:
Serioulusy...

I've done this several times and with some exercise im able to remove and instal engine without removing the swingarm and jackshaft.
Of course is much easier without them instaled.
And even i've removed engine by myself once, bare hand LOL :rofl_200:
Almost broke my back...

Its still hard for two people but possible.

Remove the complete: cluth, waterpump, oil filter and flywheel.

An transport pallete tolley might be useful.

First move it foward, then raise front and keep front raised start pulling out with the front cylinder. Bealive me...removing is a piece of cake.
Wait for instal it back...thats an horror...

As noted, Take off the swingarm and remove the middle drive gear (3 bolts and the part the u-joint is bolted too.) You can put the swingarm back on if desired to move it around later or stability if you don't have the centerstand. Once that's out then it will slide right out pretty much. Make sure the rear master is loose and pulled backwards to get a little more room.

Sean

thanks for the tips guys,i'll be getting real intimate with her as soon as her motor gets here.I'm getting the engine from Sean(thanks again Sean)Whats the best way to split the cases?do they typically come apart easily or is there a trick to this?any input greatly appreciated.thanks in advance.I think i remember another post saying to use Yamabond to seal the cases back together.Is there no gasket there and only a sealant?when I split these cases are parts going to spill out everywhere?

thanks for the tips guys,i'll be getting real intimate with her as soon as her motor gets here.I'm getting the engine from Sean(thanks again Sean)Whats the best way to split the cases?do they typically come apart easily or is there a trick to this?any input greatly appreciated.thanks in advance.I think i remember another post saying to use Yamabond to seal the cases back together.Is there no gasket there and only a sealant?when I split these cases are parts going to spill out everywhere?

Cases comes apart very easily, no big force to use here.
No problem at all but you must be sure to remove all the bolts.
If cases still dont want to go apart then you might be sure that you've left a bolt unscrewed somwhere.

Yamabond is the best sealant in this case. No, cases dont have an gasket, only sealant. Definitly use yamabond.

You must be cearful when spliting the cases. Basicly you removing upper case from lower case by holding the cam chains. The counter balancer shaft may still be at the upper case. And here he may fall out and make some damage to the lower case. Be careful.

finally put the new engine in last night.i thought taking it out was going to be a pain but we figured it out.now for the reassembly:punk:

Back