Questions about Installing COPs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick78

Reaction score
I just received R1 COPs and harness in the mail today from Ebay. The coils look really clean and the harness is in pretty decent shape as well. However, notice from my picture how short the lines are. Once I pulled all the electrical tape and wire wrap off I found that the red leads from all the connectors were crimped together at a single point in the middle of the hardness. So obviously once I cut the wire at the crimp I just cut the opposite wire at the same length so I'd have an even starting point. So it looks like I'll have to add some wire to each of these harnesses which kinda sucks and doesn't look like it was needed in the other pictures I've seen from the how to's on the COPs installs.
So my quesitons are:
1. When I put the spade connectors at the end and connect that to the stock coil connector does it matter which wire connects what?
2. Can anyone tell me where to get the heat shrink or whatever its called and give a quick how to on using it? I've always just used electrical tape but would prefer the nicer look and more secure connection.
3. When I add the additional wire to the harness which type of connector would you recommend and what wire thickness?

I think thats it for now. I plan to tackle this tomorrow since I have the day off.

COPs.jpg

There is a red with white stripe wire on each of my connectors. Those were the wires that were crimped together. Would that make them the ground wire or the power/hot wire?

i don't believe it matters, but wait for others to confirm.

I would bring the wire to a local HW store and match up the gauge of wire. then use some heat shrink tubing. i love that stuff.

This process went very well, couldn't have asked for an easier job. I was actually able to get one of the front coils out without much effort, but left the one in on the clutch lever side. Looked like too much of a pain in the ass to get out.

The bike fired right up much easier then ever before. I've still got some other issues that I can't quite tell whats causing them. It almost sounds like a timing issue, but how is the timing monitored on this bike? Is there an adjustment possible or could a sensor have gone bad? Still get loud popping from both the exhaust and the carbs if I hold the throttle open at like 2k - 2500k rpm and hold it steady. Any suggestions?

I wasn't lucky enough for the little rubber grommets to fit over my COPs like some other people have so there's a little movement in them plus the look of the missing rubber piece. But I can live with that.

be careful, and wait for any COPs issues with low temps, me and Vinmaxx i believe had issues with some mitsu COPs. i hope its not indication of that issue.

that synch tool show up yet?

Well I just finished pulling the carbs off and swapping all the stock jets and needles back into the bike. It's still running a little rough but it sounds more like its out of sync now then anything else.

I have not gotten the sync tool yet, but looking forward getting it. Hopefully it will come today and I'll take care of that tomorrow.

hey kyle, when'd you send the tool out?

Back