R/R mod?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max03

Reaction score
Just wondering what years to do this mod for? I see alot of talk of the older vmax, are you guys referring to earlier year vmaxs or 1st gen period. Reason I ask is it was brought up that my plug wire arching could be from my r/r not putting out enough. So I checked it with a volt meter and this is what I came up with. With the bike running at idle I got like 12.3 to 12.1 when revved up it was high 12's low 13's then when the fan turns on at idle it would dip into the high 11's and low to mid 12's revved up. It appeared the warmer the bike got the lower the output of voltage was. I have a oddessy gel cell battery and never noticed a starting problem but this voltage seems pretty low to me!!

It is low indeed. You should ALWAYS have more than 13v even with everything on including fan and lights at idle... Before 1992 if i recall correctly the RR was a different type (not finned enclosure). I just replaced mine with a recent MOSFET type and i get really good readings. Check the link below and look for the posts related...

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=15595&page=7

Before going after the r/r I would perform every single "cure" listed you can find I older posts.

I went through mine with a fine tooth comb and am getting excellent numbers while still running the original r/r from '99

Not saying the r/r mod isn't a good one, you just don't want to use it for a band aid to hide other problems if you have any.

Yes. I thought you were considering changing the RR for a newer one. If not the previous 2 posts are the way to go...

I was and am considering the mod! But as mentioned before, if there is a reason the stock one isn't cutting it then out with the old in with the new, but if the stock one will work fine and there is an issue with the wiring, a plug in the harness ect... I would like to fix the problem and not cover it up. I did notice my issue as soon as I changed my battery to the nicer gel cell. So not sure if it was just coincidence or me tugging around in there started my issue. Anyone that got there stock r/r charging correctly were is the most promising spot to look for a problem? I did check the black ground with a continuity test and I had a good ground. Should I check the output "red" with it unplugged to see how much I have coming right out of the r/r? Also I noticed my two rear coils are cracked on the bottom! I'm assuming its caused by heat? And also assuming the two front ones are gonna follow suit. I'm sure this could also cause my arching of plug wires?

I followed the directions in the form and cut out the plugs in the wiring harness after the r/r, mine were corroded, and with the bike hot and everything running my voltage is at mid to high 13v. I would try that before buying a new one my opinion.

Back