Radial tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Thanks for everyones input lately. I finally decided on and ordered my new Radial tires for the 18" wheels I ordered. Hopefully the wheels will be here soon...

Avon Venom-R 180/55-18 on the back
Metzler Roadtec Z6 120/70-18 for the front

Picked 'em up yesterday and they look great. Very "sportbikey"

But DAMN that front tire looks short compared to the 120/90-18 I'm running right now!

I've already made some spacers to bring the front fender down some.

Anybody know what front wheel speedo drive I need to get to make my speedometer work for this front tire?

Thanks,

Rusty

Thanks for everyones input lately. I finally decided on and ordered my new Radial tires for the 18" wheels I ordered. Hopefully the wheels will be here soon...

Avon Venom-R 180/55-18 on the back
Metzler Roadtec Z6 120/70-18 for the front

Picked 'em up yesterday and they look great. Very "sportbikey"

But DAMN that front tire looks short compared to the 120/90-18 I'm running right now!

I've already made some spacers to bring the front fender down some.

Anybody know what front wheel speedo drive I need to get to make my speedometer work for this front tire?

Thanks,

Rusty

I am running the exact same front tire and...

My speedo at 80mph (gps) reads 89... At 128 (gps) it reads 140...:whistlin:I'm going to leave mine alone as it is showing fast and not slow. Slow is BAD... My truck does that and it has bit me twice...:bang head:

Here's mine with spacers to bring the fender down about 5/8"

Attachments

• Vmax done #7 9-11-07.jpg
    Vmax done #7 9-11-07.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 58
I am running the exact same front tire and...

My speedo at 80mph (gps) reads 89... At 128 (gps) it reads 140...:whistlin:I'm going to leave mine alone as it is showing fast and not slow. Slow is BAD... My truck does that and it has bit me twice...:bang head:

Here's mine with spacers to bring the fender down about 5/8"

dude, I have those same frame sliders; but they are not black and I cut 1" off of them. Did you get them from cycle one off?

dude, I have those same frame sliders; but they are not black and I cut 1" off of them. Did you get them from cycle one off?

Yep... Waited over a month for them too... I am gradually removing material from them too...:whistlin:

They may have to come off if they keep touching down...:stickyman:

yea, they stick out far too much.

Yeah, the minute I put them on I thought they looked more like foot pegs than sliders. I may have cut more than an 1" off of them. I cut 'em back so that they will only contact the ground if I actually crashed the bike like they are supposed to do and not touch down when going around corners.

I did think about putting training wheels on them for justa minute or two.

I waited 3 weeks on mine, they said the 1st set must have gotten "lost" in the mail. I think what really happened was my order got lost in a pile of crap on somebodies desk. I'm OK with cycleone off tho' they are a small shop, mean well and their machine/cnc work is 1st class lokking at least to me, and in the end they made my order right.

Rusty

Yeah, the minute I put them on I thought they looked more like foot pegs than sliders. I may have cut more than an 1" off of them. I cut 'em back so that they will only contact the ground if I actually crashed the bike like they are supposed to do and not touch down when going around corners.

I did think about putting training wheels on them for justa minute or two.

I waited 3 weeks on mine, they said the 1st set must have gotten "lost" in the mail. I think what really happened was my order got lost in a pile of crap on somebodies desk. I'm OK with cycleone off tho' they are a small shop, mean well and their machine/cnc work is 1st class lokking at least to me, and in the end they made my order right.

Rusty

I spent TWO hours mounting mine up...:bang head: Completely made wrong. I had to whip out the dremel and carve a bunch out of it to make it fit...:bang head: If I cut them, I'll have to repaint them... Plus they act as a great place to put my feet...:thumbs up:

Hello everyone...

I have got a '98 Max, just bought SportMax 18" rear wheel, and have been looking into what tires to get, Metz, or Avon... but is it not better to have the same brand front and rear ? I will go for the 180/55ZR18 rear, but what to do with the front ? 130/70ZR18 way to big ? I have got the stock front wheel by the way. Please advise, thanks.

Hello everyone...

I have got a '98 Max, just bought SportMax 18" rear wheel, and have been looking into what tires to get, Metz, or Avon... but is it not better to have the same brand front and rear ? I will go for the 180/55ZR18 rear, but what to do with the front ? 130/70ZR18 way to big ? I have got the stock front wheel by the way. Please advise, thanks.

Front wheels don't act kindly to tire size changes... Backs aren't a lot better but the last thing you want is a front tire tucking in a corner... I would stick to a 110/80/18 on the front. The Avon's are good tires, but I really like Metzelers a lot... A lot A lot...:thumbs up:

Front wheels don't act kindly to tire size changes... Backs aren't a lot better but the last thing you want is a front tire tucking in a corner... I would stick to a 110/80/18 on the front. The Avon's are good tires, but I really like Metzelers a lot... A lot A lot...:thumbs up:

Could you explain what you mean when you say 'a front tyre tucking in a corner'?

Hello everyone...

Michelin Pilot Roads will fit front stock and aftermarket rear.Really cool pattern too.

Michelin offers PilotRoad in 110/80ZR18, would be fine in front, but rear is not offered bigger than 160/60ZR18, I want to have 180. But I agree, cool pattern.

Could you explain what you mean when you say 'a front tyre tucking in a corner'?

tuck the front - When the front wheel slides, and the handlebars turn into the corner, while taking a turn. "I was doing well until the hairpin and my bike tucked the front."

It is also when the tire is too wide for the rim causing it to deflect to much. The manufacturers specify a tire size for size of wheel. These should be taken seriously... Front tires are not to be messed with. We have one front tire and our lives literaly depend on it.:worthy:

Back