Rain vs. Mr.max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsman30

Reaction score
I got caught riding home in the rain on Tuesday not my favorite thing to do:bang head:
So I rode it before in the rain only a short distance and it was not to bad. Well this time was more to the tune of 80 plus miles of hard driving rain. I am here to tell you I was impressed on how well the Vmax rode in that weather and again I cannot stress enough how hard it rained on me. I was driving perhaps 60 mph most of the time a little slower in the corners but the bike never even flinched at all.:worthy:
I was soaked from neck to toe even the boots were full of water had to dump them out and my leather coat was about 20 lbs heavier. So today I broke down and bought a brand new rain suit from Frogg Toggs. I have been told these are great for rain and wind by many people so we will see.
I like to ride and though I am not big on riding in the rain I think I will start riding anyway I just like to be in the wind period.
Hell I will work in the rain I will screw in the rain so why not ride my Vmax in the rain :punk:

Good story, good adventure. Same thing happened to me this summer. I found the max to be very good in heavy rain.:biglaugh:

Never any problems here in rain either....was riding with a bunch of Harleys and all but one pulled over with weird electrical issues. One the speedo started wigging out, and two others both were setting off idiot lights, and it wasn't even raining THAT hard. What junk.

You'll notice the Max(or any water cooled bike) runs VERY cool in the rain...mine drops from maybe 1/3-1/2 way up the scale down to the cold line when it starts to rain.

Pain in the rain depends on which Max I am on. The 1990 is all powdercoated and no show bike so I don't dread riding in the rain and the subsequent cleaning required afterward. Now the 85 it would give me an ulcer getting stuck in the rain and I would be bummed.
As far as handling the weather, I usually run decent rubber and don't forget these guys are six hundred pounds plus my close to three hundred fully geared up and there is a scooter that can cut through the water and resist sidewinds fairly well. A windscreen sure would go along way in weather though!
Sometimes in Florida it rains insects!

I got caught in some bad storms this week too. Found out the joe rocket jacket is NOT waterproof. no major problems with the max. only issue I had was taking it easy on the throttle. I hit a few tar strips under heavy throttle and the back tire about turned around and become the front.

Worst part about rain is cleaning the bike afterwards.

on our way to the miracle ride me and my GF got caught in a freaking downpour.. on the interstate.. at 6 a.m. before the sun was up. it sucked.

it was dark, it was hard to see anything around us cuz the rain was so bad.. lesnses fogged up..

i had to slow down to about 45 and we were scared to death..

my glasses were getting foggy too.

we found an overpass to get under but it was raining so hard it didnt help.. the rain was coming in at an angle and splashing half a foot off the ground.

then a semi truck came by and threw water up on us about 10 feet high, way over our heads.

there wasnt a dry spot on us...

my hands were wrinkly and our clothes were stuck to us bad, we just had t shirts on heh..., we were cold and i could feel the water running down my back like a water fall...

oh my shirt made my underwear turn red too lol.

and then boom the rain stopped and the sun popped out.

oh and a drunk driver came up past us in a white car with 3 kids in it... hed speed up to like 100 then back down to 40... he rode right up the center line between both lanes behind us for about 3 miles... hed swing over and have his car off the road and hed drift right back to the very center lol... hed slow down and speed up... i pointed at him to my gf and she nodded so we got the hell away from him. i hope his kids r ok.

but ya we got to indy and went to the hotel we met up at and one of the biker guys let us use his bathroom and we took our clothes off and wrung them out and abused his blow dryer.

my boot had so much water in it that when i stepped it SQUIRTED out lol..

but ya the vmax ran fine no hiccups or anything. shocked me cuz i hear so many horror stories...

I love riding in the rain, I'm still waiting on my rain suit. the big sized ones aren't in stock yet, so I'm still getting soaked, really soaked. after putting on the sport tail the back tire kicks up quite the rooster tail that the stock rear fender used to catch.

The only thing I don't like about rain riding is the painted striped on the road. especially crosswalks and the like. the tires don't like sticking to that stuff they use up here.

But otherwise, you can't beat a good rain ride. :punk:

I love riding in the rain, I'm still waiting on my rain suit. the big sized ones aren't in stock yet, so I'm still getting soaked, really soaked. after putting on the sport tail the back tire kicks up quite the rooster tail that the stock rear fender used to catch.

The only thing I don't like about rain riding is the painted striped on the road. especially crosswalks and the like. the tires don't like sticking to that stuff they use up here.

But otherwise, you can't beat a good rain ride. :punk:

It can be exhilarating , alone. Traffic kicks up all the road grime. Its the time it takes to detail your bike clean again that really sucks.

When my stock 85 was new, I was visiting a friend who lived in the bronx. I was on my way to Iowa from CT and left NY about 3 am.:biglaugh: Long story and wrong part of town. 10 minutes after getting on the wrong freeway it started to pour buckets. Low parts of the freeway were lakes with heavy traffic. I should have had a chunk of coal stuck in my ass cuz I would have owned a diamond.

The Vmax performed flawlessly and got me out of the city but it sucked.

Pain in the rain depends on which Max I am on. The 1990 is all powdercoated and no show bike so I don't dread riding in the rain and the subsequent cleaning required afterward. Now the 85 it would give me an ulcer getting stuck in the rain and I would be bummed.
As far as handling the weather, I usually run decent rubber and don't forget these guys are six hundred pounds plus my close to three hundred fully geared up and there is a scooter that can cut through the water and resist sidewinds fairly well. A windscreen sure would go along way in weather though!
Sometimes in Florida it rains insects!

I hear you on the cleaning part that sucks for sure only issue I think I have after a rain ride.
As for raining incest I feel your pain I always like the cloud of bugs you go through at times and dont forget those june bugs the size of your thumb and armor plated :biglaugh:

I've been through several sessions with rain on a couple long trips. Last year 2 hours on a freeway wasn't too bad but it was in the middle of a 8 hour trip home and it was cold after the rain stopped.
This year I got caught in a rainstorm (90 min) on my way to Jim's (Spring Icebreaker) but was in traffic and not quite sure where I was going. On my way home from the Ice Breaker I got caught in another 2.5 rainstorm on the freeway with construction thrown in for good measure! It was intense at times for sure but I had rain gear on so I was dry at least but again it was cold after the rain stopped.
Redbone ran flawlessly through all the rain with nary a hiccup!:worthy:I try to use dielectric grease on every electrical connection that I have apart. I learned my lesson on my YZ250 that dielectric grease can save a ton of troubles when playing in the wet.

Back