Really hard slow starting..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FriendofMr.Max

Reaction score
Hey guys..86 VMAX. I tried 2 brand new batteries, and even replaced the starter motor and ground wire. This problem is still the same with the new parts. The problem is it gets really slow cranking and sometimes doesn't even start. The batt reads 13.5 with the bike off, and charges well when it's on, 14.2 at 2500 rpm. So the stator and charging system is ruled out. Seems to start really slow and not at all when hot, long ride. On shorter rides its still slow to crank over but picks up. I just had it out for a 2 hr ride, super slow, almost didn't start. Checked the batt..13.3. Any1 have any ideas?

Did you recently tighten the stator cover and / or do you have a stator cover gasket installed? The clearances are extremely tight and can cause this type problem.... Must have a gasket to maintain the clearance and can't be super tight to stop a leak.

Good Luck

Could also be the starter, bad ground and :ummm:

BTW, Welcome to the VMF.....

Double check and clean all connections and wires. Do you have stock R/R? Noticed when my R/R got hot it also had hot start problems

Exactly as noted above. Plus, when you got a new starter did you get one for your year or did you get the newer version. 90 and up have 4 brushes and work much more efficiently then the old 2 brush starters. The newer voltage regulator also works better then the older model.

Battery, what did you use? We have a big battery modification with pics and info on our website. You can use a PC680 battery (Odyssey) which is far stronger then stock if you wanted to keep the stock sizing.

But, as was noted if you don't have a gasket in the stator cover the heat expends the parts and they are so close in tolerance they tighten up and bind the starter drive gears.

Sean Morley

PS: I have the Odyssey Battery and It spins the motor over like it's a toy.

Ok so. I bought a gel mat battery. The battery cranks it fantastic when its cold. No issues. When it gets hot, it's a different story. Slow crank and no starting. I didn't check the r/r because that has to do with the charging correct? It was switched, not by me, and the system charges very well. So it can't be battery related when it reads 13.3 just after its shut off, or 14.2 when 2500 rpms.
As for the stator. I never cracked it open. Sooo..I dunno. The bike sat for about a year, winterized, in a climate controlled garage, so I cant see the gasket wearing away to nothing.
As for the wiring...I changed the ground out 1st thing when these symptoms started this summer. I changed it out because it was getting super hot when just trying to crank it. The battery terminal was getting really hot too just from cranking. Is there a resistor or relay bad that would cause those problems?

Sounds like bad starter. You didn't mention what year or version you used. If you can see big screw heads on the body of the starter you have the early model and could benefit from a new one.

The gasket won't wear away on the stator cover so that shouldn't be the problem. I used to have a draw meter that sat on the wire to measure the current flow. You could find one and see where the current is going.

Sean

I am following this thread with interest, since my '02 is having the same problems.

Where do you source a better R/R? I'm not charging above 13.6 either at idle or 5k RPMs.

I bought a brand new starter, 2 brush for my year. I do understand the 4 brush working better, but I find it hard to believe that a stock brand new 2 brush will yield the exact same results as the original starter (real slow crank and no start when hot). Brand new electronics do work better lol. It HAS to be something else. And my bike does charge correctly. 14.2 at 2500 rpms. I really don't think it's stator related, I know it's not battery, and it's not the ground because the newly replaced ground helped it start easier. I'll have to pay attention to the r/r next run. But I would imagine it should get warm regardless if it is or is not working correctly. Please keep in mind that it does charge correctly. I appreciate the posts and brain storming. I'm hoping some1 who had the exact same symptoms can give me a lead. Please read what I wrote so it can't be confused with something else, and if I can elaborate better I would be happy to. Thanks again guys for taking time to kick some ideas back and forth.

The charging system checks out so I'd say do as Sean suggests and pull the stator cover and check for a gasket. There is a step by step post with pictures in the How To forum. While you have it open, change out your cloth covered wires from the stator with new wire so you don't get the dreaded oil drip.

Back