rear shocks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few weeks ago I upgraded from progressive 412 to 430 that I got off of Amazon $378. I would let the 412 go for $200 with less than 2k miles on them. PM me if your interested. 11.5" chrome progressive 412
Nicely finished machine.

A few weeks ago I upgraded from progressive 412 to 430 that I got off of Amazon $378. I would let the 412 go for $200 with less than 2k miles on them. PM me if your interested. 11.5" chrome progressive 412
Hey mate, where did you get the V4 carb covers from? Very nice.

I'm pretty happy with the stockers with the preload maxed and the damping set on 4. The front end is much worse.

Thing is, the budget replacement shocks at best have preload adjustment only. What's the point in "upgrading" if you use a significant feature? I think I'd be more prone to having the stockers revalved than spending $400 on a set of shocks that only have preload adjustment.

'99 VFR800, '08 1125R, '06 1050, '03 Vmax, '03 DRZ400

I doubt the stock shocks can be revalved. As to upgrading shocks the Prog. Suspen. 412's are better than the stockers. You would find that out riding back to back. More $, more features buying quality shocks, & lasting longer before losing damping. Good ones can be rebuilt.

I have fitted gold valve emulators, progressive front springs, solid engine mounts and progressive 440 rear shocks 1 inch lower than stock. The Max handles fine but the rear shocks leave a little to be desired they are only pre-load adjustable and while not to bad handling wise, when I hit a sharp bump it compresses my spine, really hard shock. They have no damping adjustment. I have the pre-load setting at the softest. I only weight 68kg. Has anybody a set of fully adjustable rear shocks fitted to their Vmax which they can recommend. I do ride two up but my pillion only weights 50kg. A set of shocks with a progressive action- spring setting for my weight plus compression & rebound adjustment. Would I have to buy Ohlins shocks? Has anybody tried Gaz shocks?

Last edited:
Some times has passed since this thread was active. In the meantime there have been notable changes in rear shock technology, so has anyone moved on to other options ?
I would be particularly interested it anyone has knowledge of the OE units specifications such as spring rates. Reason is our 1200 has a sidecar, so conventional wisdom on suspension - luggage, passenger, etc tends to go out the window. On these usual solo bike questions I'm always puzzled that no one seems to consider the first weight !

Latest posts

Back