Rebuild stock v-boost controller?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnMax/Magniac

Reaction score
Does anyone do this kind of work? I replaced my controller last summer, because the old one was only working intermittently. The new one is fine, and I still have the old one. If anyone repairs these, I will be happy to donate my old one for the cause. I'm thinking if someone does this kind of work, it would be good to have some repaired units on hand, to maybe be sold on an exchange basis. just a thought.

This could be related, on my 89 Yamaha Venture Royale the CLASS computer air suspension was intermittent, turns out the solder joints were failing, they were very thin soldering from the factory and over time the joints fractured on the circuit board, there is many a write up on how to fix this, I did it, it was basically just cleaning it with a brass brush and re soldering a half dozen legs as they go through the circuit board, both the Vmax and Venture are Yamaha bikes from the same era, I have two Vmax bikes, one runs, no problems with it but if it did have a problem like yours I would take a very good look at the circuit board, and the harness plugs.

That is exactly what happens on many of the boost units though not all can be repaired like this.

Yeah, I replaced mine and the new (to me) unit works fine. I just thought if somebody did repair these, I would be happy to donate my old one to the cause, rather than just throw it away. If there is no response in a day or two, I'll toss it.

I tried to re solder a board on my controller a few years ago... Spectacular failure..

Well, Mnt/Max
I've repaired a few mother boards on small devices with a small board--- because of a bad or cold solder joint. I have the right equipement and i would be willing to give it a try. Over the 37 year career as a Metal Shop teacher I've fixed a huge amount "things".
E-mail me at [email protected]- I'm just over the hills.

Lew

Well, Mnt/Max
I've repaired a few mother boards on small devices with a small board--- because of a bad or cold solder joint. I have the right equipement and i would be willing to give it a try. Over the 37 year career as a Metal Shop teacher I've fixed a huge amount "things".
E-mail me at [email protected]- I'm just over the hills.

Lew

OK, Lew, it's on the way to you. Hope it will help out someone, someday.

Back