regulator or stator?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBjork

Reaction score
My first post after 2 years......I have a 2004 vmax. I have a low voltage problem and I am hoping that I can get some advice. I have used my meter to try and get a sense whether I need a regulator or a stator and I can't get clear readings. Here's what I can tell you for sure. My battery is about 12.2volts when the bike has been sitting. When the bike is cold and running I get a reading from the battery posts of about 13.3. I lose voltage as the bike gets hot. 1t slowly winds down to about 12 volts at low idle. When I rev and hold at 2500 rpm the volts return to about 13 volts. I have checked and cleaned all connections and all is good. The battery is pretty new and load tests 100%. What do you think?

Okay... I fixed the problem. I noticed that I was losing voltage at the connections. I cut all of the connections on the charging circuit and soldered everything. Now I am getting 13.9 volts at idle when the fan runs and around 14.2/14.1 at 2000 RPM. Good enough for me!!!! The bike starts so much better now.

Gary...I live in Spencer Mass; just outside of Worcester.

Thanks for all of the help guys. I can't believe how much knowledge there is on this site and people who are willing to share it.

ah very cool. old_timer is in worcester and i'm in franklin. another guy in lakeville and a few near the cape. couple out near s'field too.

Back