Replace first gear?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungryfroggy

Reaction score
Theoretical situation:
1987 Vmax slips out of first gear, but starts fine in second gear.
What is broken?
How much money to fix?
How difficult is procedure to fix it?

This is theoretical, just want a quick estimation from you pros! Thanks!

-Froggy

Bad oil i'd say... slipping clutch under more torque coming from 1st gear...

What kind of oil are you running?

well, any possible causes other than oil? is it possible to open up transmission and replace first gear only, and how much money would that cost? in my situation, i know a vmax that has had slippage in first gear only, i have no idea how long that user has abused the first gear, but im pretty sure he just starts in 2nd now. all other gears are fine. to me, it sounds like the first gear has become damaged

Do yourself a favor... Im in process of doing this now too for second gear. Talk to sean morley if your gear is bad chances are there are more on the way. I just got one of his undercut transmissions... You will never have the issue again cause they are cut so they cant slip. Took me about five hours to teardown the bike and split the cases. Sent off the trans to sean and got it back quicker than i could get my backrest installed and the bike engine cleaned lol. Also inquire about the hd oiling kit while you got it all apart. Its not hard just get the service manual and download it. All you need is to follow the instructions.. Label baggies with each step and put the bolts in the baggies for easier install. I will be putting everything back together monday night hopefully. Sean is awesome to deal with and answered a few questions i had and i still cant believe how quickly i got the trans back. It was cheaper than replacing the gears affected for a much improved shifting on the bike. Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk

Your's was a bit of an anomoly too lol (I had one on hand). I normally don't stock them but they are worth the wait to get done.

It almost sounds like a BROKEN gear which we can't fix. We can however replace that gear with a good core gear and then undercut the trans set. If it goes into gear but pops out then we could possibly fix that. It's not uncommon to have to undercut low gear (and why we do all of them).

We even have overdrive options!

You can check the shift segment but your 2001 is new enough that it has the newer style in there already so that shouldn't be the issue. Does it go into the rest of the gears?

Sean

My 2001 is pretty fine, only issue I can say is that occasionally when shifting from 1->2 it will go into neutral instead, but then I just shift from neutral->2 right away.
For the 1987, yes the rest of the gears work fine. Can you ballpark a price for replacing the gears?

I can vouch for Sean's undercut trans and 5th gear overdrive setup. The OD is great for longer trips and even general cruising. The top end suffers a little unless you have added some performance mods, otherwise you still have the stock 4 gears to play with and 5th for cruising.

Back